Views
Helpful
Replies

Whats needed for site to site VPN?

mmckenz11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to create a site to site using windows 2008 DC at both sites.  Mainly for active directory replication.

I have a CISCO SRP527W model which has some options for VPN.  My question is can the router act as the VPN server or do I have to configure a windows server to do all the VPN configure?

On the CISCO router it has all the options of VPN passthrough enabled.  These being PPTP, IPSEC and L2TP enabled.  Although no site to site IPSEC policies are defined as yet.

So if creating a windows 2008 DC at the other site, do I need to configure VPN on the server or just the cisco router alone?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configure the VPN on the SRP527Ws only. You do not need to use the VPN passthrough options. Those are for when you are terminating VPN on devices behind the router.

The Windows DCs will talk to each other directly via their IP addresses once the VPN is properly configured and working.

Here is the guide for setting up VPN on those devices: Link.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: