Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wildcard Cert - only have .cer

Hi all,

I'm looking for information on how to install a wildcard certificate with only the .cer file.  I've found quite a few things here in the forums, but everyone seems to also have a pkcs12 file, which I do not.  Any specific help would be appreciated.

This is an ASA 5510 on ver 8.4. 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES

Thanks for the input.  I've actually come across that page before.  The problem is that I already have the .cer.  If I try to create a .csr, it's not going to match the .cer.  I was able to import it into iis, and then export out the .pfx file...so I have that as well now.  However, neither of these files are helpful for uploading it to the ASA.

Any other suggestions?

Not sure if you already looked at this thread...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2027072

Thx

MS

Thanks for the suggestions.  I just got off the phone with Cisco support.  They're telling me there is no way for me to use my pre-existing star certificate because it wasn't generated from the ASA.  I would need to know the keypair and the trustpoint from whence it was generated and since I don't have that information it's not going to work.  They told me there is no workaround, but I have doubts. 

Anyway, we're just going to purchase a new normal certification, because it's been too much of a headache dealing with what we already have.  Thanks for your help.

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the sharing the info. That may be correct.Even though not relates to your scenario - I was testing Instant Messaging proxy software and using pre-existing start cert (I guess you mean by wildcard cert), did not work for me due to key pair matching. I ended up in buying a cert quickly from rapidssl (supported & recomended by the IM proxy vendor). Before you buy the cert make sure that it is Cisco recomnded.

Thx

MS

It's funny that you mention the Cisco recommended part.  My boss went to purchase a cert from our usual third party authority and it asks which service you use to create the .csr.  Cisco only had some sort of VPN concentrator 3000 listed, others included IIS and apache, etc.  I asked Cisco which one to do, and they suggested we call our third party.  So, now I'm stuck waiting on that...oh well...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content