cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 7, Cisco VPN error. "The VPN client driver encountered an error. Please restart your computer or device, then try again."

ganeshv01
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any resolution for this issue?

I keep getting the following error:

"The VPN client driver encountered an error.  Please restart your computer or device, then try again."

and have retired restarting the computer  multiple times.

[4/6/2015 4:05:35 AM] User credentials entered.
[4/6/2015 4:05:38 AM] Establishing VPN session...
[4/6/2015 4:05:40 AM] Checking for profile updates...
[4/6/2015 4:05:40 AM] Checking for product updates...
[4/6/2015 4:05:41 AM] Checking for customization updates...
[4/6/2015 4:05:41 AM] Performing any required updates...
[4/6/2015 4:05:41 AM] Establishing VPN session...
[4/6/2015 4:05:41 AM] Establishing VPN - Initiating connection...
[4/6/2015 4:05:41 AM] Establishing VPN - Examining system...
[4/6/2015 4:05:41 AM] Establishing VPN - Activating VPN adapter...
[4/6/2015 4:05:41 AM] Establishing VPN - Attempting to repair VPN adapter...
[4/6/2015 4:05:42 AM] Disconnect in progress, please wait...
[4/6/2015 4:05:42 AM] The VPN client driver encountered an error.  Please restart your computer or device, then try again.
[4/6/2015 4:05:42 AM] AnyConnect was not able to establish a connection to the specified secure gateway. Please try connecting again.
[4/6/2015 4:05:42 AM] Ready to connect.

13 Replies 13

Hello Ganesh,

Actually there are several things should be done on the client (workarounds), there is this bug ID CSCsm54689, that basically explains out this:

Conditions:
Routing and Remote Access Service enabled in windows

Workaround:

Make sure Routing and Remote Access Service is disabled before starting anyconnect.

- After this proceed to uninstall the AnyConnect Client, delete the Cisco Folders for it on the ProgramFiles and programData folders, and then get the latest release on the Cisco Webiste and install it out  3.1.07021 version.

- An effective solution which worked for many, is a tool that was released to fix the problem with the windows firewall.

The tool called ESET and can be found at

http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/Malware/ServicesRepair.exe

Restart the PC, Firewall and critical missing services should work.

You may take a look to this guide also:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/100597-technote-anyconnect-00.html#anc37

Many of these issues comes up due to an issue of the VA (Virtual Adapter) of the AnyConnect, let's try those steps and let me know how it works out!

Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct this post!

David Castro,

Regards,

Joel Hawbaker
Level 1
Level 1

This is an old thread, but I have found the solution for this (at least it worked for me and it's not as vague as other solutions I've seen).

1. If you have another SSL VPN client installed (Dell NetExtender, Checkpoint, etc.), uninstall it. You should be able to re-install it later, but AnyConnect must be installed first.

2. Uninstall AnyConnect

3. Delete the "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client" folder under Users\{User}\AppData\Local\Cisco

4. Restart your computer

5. Install AnyConnect (I installed 3.1.14018)

6. Open "Network Connections", right click on the Cisco AnyConnect adapter, and click Properties

7. Uncheck IPv6 and open the Properties for IPv4 and change the IP address and DNS from static to dynamic.

8. Open AnyConnect and test the connection

9. If it doesn't work the first time, check the IPv4 Properties under the AnyConnect network adapter again and change them to dynamic again, if necessary.

richblues
Level 1
Level 1

why do people over-complicate everything???  This is what you do.

1. CLick start then type in run
2. Run box opens, type in C:\$WINSRC
3. Box opens up>> click on AnyConnectRepair (should appear upper right)
5. CMD box opens, wait until says press anykey... repair should be complete
6. Retry your VPN connection should work now.
7. You are welcome.

not helpful!

Mitch D
Level 1
Level 1

I will post this to possibly help someone else.

I was getting this same error over and over even after reinstalling Anyconnect twice and following the advise I found from searching. They didn't seem to work.

This is what resolved it for me:

I was able to resolve it after running "sfc /scannow" from the command line. This found and fixed some corrupt files. I then uninstalled and reinstalled AnyConnect.

I also uninstalled Microsoft Network Analyzer 3.4 but I'm not sure that had anything to do with it.

Thanks Mitch D. , your sentence " I also uninstalled Microsoft Network Analyzer 3.4 but I'm not sure that had anything to do with it" was the solution for me - I discovered the issue of not being able to connect via VPN anymore since a week or so and couldn't find a solution even by contacting out IT help desk and reinstalling the Anyconnect Client , rebooting the Laptop, disabeling all unused Network Adapters, .. but then I read your post and remembered I  recently installed the latest Microsoft MessageAnalyzer64.msi on my Win 7 Laptop. After uninstalling this one , Cisco AnyConnect worked fine like before, even without rebooting my Laptop.  

Thank you!!! I had updated my Wireshark and installed NPPCAP yesterday and today my VPN wouldn't work. I tried re-installing and rebooting and finally read this post. I uninstalled Wireshark and now my VPN is working again. 

isaac castrejon
Level 1
Level 1

I resolve it uninstall that version and install the new  version 4.4.0.3

pancelot123
Level 1
Level 1

Close Anyconnect. Stop service Anyconnect service. Go to device manager and unistall cisco interface. Run service & Anyconnect i try to establish connection. Anyconnect add  removed interface and everything will be works. 

none of the above worked for me

I get this error every time I have to reboot. To resolve it, I uninstall AnyConnect, reboot, re-install AnyConect, reboot, and it works. 

_na
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same error after installing nmap and npcap 1.50 (the latter was installed with an error). After uninstalling them, the error disappeared.

Thank you very much. The new versions of Wireshark install npcap 1.5 or greater and it brokes the VPN adapter. After uninstall it, it works

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: