cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 8 and IPSec VPN issues

chris-caldwell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of customers that leverage the Cisco IPSec VPN. I can connect to the VPN without any problems but when I attempt to RDP, that fails. I have no RDP or ping or anything. Here are some more symptoms of the issues that I find odd:

• Anyconnect works just fine
  • Fortinet VPN clients work fine
  • Sonicwall VPN clients work fine
  • Cisco IPSec VPN client is the only one affected
  • Cisco IPSec VPN client worked fine for months then just decided it was no longer going to allow RDP or ping
  • I have duplicated this issue on a half dozen or so laptops
  • This is on a Windows 8 laptop but I believe I have also experienced this on Windows 7

Just to clarify, the IPSec VPN does succesfully connect. But nothing else works after that. I do understand that AnyConnect is the direction that Cisco would like for people to move towards. Unfortunately, I have quite a few customers that are leveraging the IPSec VPN. I have been through a number of laptops in the last year and every single laptop had a working Cisco IPSec VPN for months....then one day it would just stop passing RDP.

Please somebody tell me that there is a workaround for this. I have played with the IP settings for the Cisco Systems virtual adapter in my network and sharing center. I've modified the binding order. I've compared a routeprint from a working laptop to mine....I'm not sure what else to do. I've uninstalled ALL VPN software and only reinstalled the Cisco VPN. So far the ONLY fix I have found is a clean install of Windows and that solution sucks.

1 Reply 1

chris-caldwell
Level 1
Level 1

Doing a little more homework on this and I noticed that the tunnel details show no bytes sent or recieved and no packets encrypted, decrypted, or discarded....everything is bypassed.  My coworker (who is on Windows 7) is able to launch this VPN and connect to the customer's servers without issues and the tunnel details show all of the appropriate data.