cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Remote Desktop Connection to a machine running a VPN tunnel

wadier
Level 1
Level 1

I need to be able to allow Windows Remote Desktop Connections to a machine while it's running a VPN tunnel.

Would split tunneling allow this to occur, or is this a high security risk and hence by design, it's not going to work.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of testing this out, so I'm hoping for a confirmation that it's actually been done, before I can go ahead and submit a formal request to our VPN group.

4 Replies 4

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

A bit more information is needed. Where exactly is the machine you want to connect to? Is it on the other end of the VPN tunnel(if so a big "YES") or is it on your local network? If so then you can accomplish this with split-tunneling although most agree that it is a secuerity risk. How much of a risk depends a lot on how secure both sides of the tunnel are. Most people that I know won't allow it.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all replies

The machine I want to connect to is on the local Network.

I'm basically trying to allow users on the local network to logon to another local machine using Windows Remote Desktop Connection. That other local machine has VPN Client S/W installed on it, which allows them to tunnel into an external network.

The end result is allowing local network users to have access to the external network via VPN, without having to leave their desks and physically sit in front of the machine that has the VPN client loaded on it.

split tunneling would be required for this to work. split tunneling does increase security risks, so you would really need to assess how they would impact your environment.

the only thing that could block it is the cisco vpn client's built in firewall, which is disabled by default. it blocks all inbound connections

The post from mostiguy basically said it all.