Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

1600 series router question

I have a 1602 with a built in CSU/DSU in it... My question is how and if it is even possible to set this router up as a WAN/LAN router? In other words to replace the role of a consumer based linksys router. If not with this router, would another one take its place in doing this? (2500 maybe?)

Thanks in advance,

Garrett

6 REPLIES
Purple

Re: 1600 series router question

Hi Garrett,

The 1602 is actually designed to perform a LAN/WAN function so you should certainly be able to use in place of your linksys, as long as it has the right interfaces for what you require.

Hope that helps - pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

What interfaces would be required? It has one Ethernet and one 56k CSU/DSU. The WAN connection is a basic modem, so would I need to purchase an ethernet card for a total of 2 for it to work? (I'm unfamiliar with how the CSU/DSU would work in this type of application.

Thank you very much for the reply!

Garrett

Purple

Garrett,

You do not need a second ethernet card for this to work. I'm not clear on why you think you need a second ethernet port. If you could explain in a bit more detail your actual setup, I would be better able to respond.

When you say a basic modem, do you mean an analog modem and not an ISDN BRI ?

Paresh

Well to graphically explain to topology as best I can, think of a cable modem installation in a home. I'm basically trying to replace the linksys wrt54g router I have now for this cisco router.

*I thought I would need 2 ethernet ports becuase I thought the CSU/DSU is for a different type of setup.

Purple

Cool.. that means you certainly do need two ethernet interfaces since the cable modem presents an ethernet interface to you.

Given that that is the case, the 1602 is out of the question since it only supports one Ethernet interface and the WIC-1ENET is not supported in the WIC slot.

From what I remember, a lot of the 25xx series only had a single LAN connection, so you've gotta be careful with what you get. One option is to get something like a 1711 which will give you two ethernet ports... It comes down to your budget and motivations to move to such a platform.

Paresh

I'll look into the 1711 (now that I have an understanding of what hardware to look for) Thanks much!

Garrett

Views
Helpful
Replies