cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1700 Router Configuration DLCI

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I have a cisco 1751 router with interfaces Ethernet0/0 and FastEthernet0/0.

My ISP is asking me to configure the router with DLCI 16 with IP X.X.X.Xa -Gateway X.X.X.Xb and DLCI 17 with IP Y.Y.Y.Yc - Gateway Y.Y.Y.Yd

How do I configure this?

13 Replies 13

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

its very simple,

You cant do that without Serial interface..

HTH

Mohamed

Could you pls list the commands, do I need to define encapsulation as frame-relay on subinterfaces?

vaisharm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As pointed out by Mohamed, you would need a serial interface/module for frame relay. Here's how you can configure it:

!

interface Serial1/1

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

no shutdown

!

interface Serial1/1.16 multipoint << If using multipoint sub-if

ip add X.X.X.Xa

frame-relay map ip X.X.X.Xb 16 broadcast << If using multipoint sub-if

no shutdown

!

OR

interface Serial1/1.16 point-to-point << If using point-to-point sub-if

ip add X.X.X.Xa

frame-relay interface-dlci 16 << If using pont-to-point sub-if (No need to specify the gateway)

no shutdown

!

Same way create an additional sub-interface (Serial1/1.17) for Y.Y.Y.Yc (DLCI 17).

-Vaibhav

Thank You Vaibhav.

Is it not possible to define the DLCI on ethernet interface by creating suninterfaces or by something else.

My ISP has given me some details and from their side its a LAN cable which has to be connected to our router (no serail cable). All they have given is WAN IP's and DLCI id. I couldnot find the option to enable DLCI on Ehternet interface even by defining subinterfaces.

Sorry, It has to be terminated on BRI interface. I have BRI0 interface. How do I define subinterfaces on BRI0. I need 2 subinterfaces. I am getting the below error.

TEST(config)#interface BRI0

TEST(config-if)#no ip address

TEST(config-if)#encapsulation frame-relay ietf

TEST(config-if)#frame-relay lmi-type q933a

TEST(config)#interface BRI0:1

% Cannot access B-channel interfaces

BRI is normally used as a backup for the frame-relay link. You'll have to have a serial interface for frame-relay to be able to configure IP to DLCI mappings.

-Vaibhav

It wont work on the router you have.

Frame-relay connections terminate on serial interfaces. If you have a spare slot get a WIC-1T.

I am able to configure as below. Is it going to work? I cannpt have serial interface as the ISP side has given me LAN (RJ45) type connection

---------------------------------------------

interface BRI0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

frame-relay lmi-type q933a

!

interface BRI0.16 point-to-point

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

no arp frame-relay

frame-relay interface-dlci 16

avil

I do not believe that this will work. The BRI interface expects to talk to an ISDN switch but there is no ISDN switch configuration in what you have posted.

I would like to know more about this ISP connection. You tell us that it is an LAN(RJ45) type connection. What kind of device is it that is giving the connection?

There are quite a number of serial cards with built in CSU/DSU which have connection via RJ45 cable. I suspect that this is what the ISP wants you to use. Especially when a DLCI is part of what they specify it means Frame Relay. And Frame Relay needs a serial connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

As strange it may seem, frame-realy can be used on ISDN BRI.

However, i think the rj45 that avil has been given, is either a t1 or e1 connector. Avil, can you clarify with you service provider, which service have your purchased ?

Paolo

To run Frame Relay over BRI do you not still need the isdn switch-type and other ISDN configuration?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes you do. It was something used in the past to provide back-up with frame-relay services, terminating into devices incapable of routing. I haven't heard on anyone using it for real, but the feature is there.

Also, in Germany, they used isdn bri as replacement for low speed leased lines, that's called nailed bri.

My ISDN leased line is up with the below config.

isdn switch-type ABC

isdn leased-line BRI1/0

interface BRI1/0:1

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

frame-relay lmi-type q933a

interface BRI1/0:1.16 point-to-point

ip address x.x.x.y 255.255.255.0

ip ospf network non-broadcast

ip ospf cost 10

ip ospf priority 0

no arp frame-relay

no cdp enable

frame-relay interface-dlci 16 IETF

!

interface BRI1/0:1.17 point-to-point

ip address y.y.y.z 255.255.255.0

ip ospf network non-broadcast

ip ospf cost 20

ip ospf priority 0

no cdp enable

frame-relay interface-dlci 17 IETF

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card