Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

1800 Series, Possible or Not?

Hi,

Hopefully a simple question to answer,

Using the 1800 series router is it possible to Traffic shape inbound & outbound traffic based on a particular TCP port.

Example

Restrict SMTP traffic (Port 25) in & out to 25% of the bandwidth available on the WAN interface?

If possible a pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks

6 REPLIES
Green

Re: 1800 Series, Possible or Not?

You can't really traffic shape inbound .... you have to configure the other side for traffic shaping outbound.

Otherwise, you have no control over the traffic being sent by the other side.

Outbound traffic shaping is no problem.

Good Luck

Scott

Purple

It certainly is possible.. You can use something like the following:

class-map SMTP

match protocol smtp

!

policy-map Shaper

class SMTP

shape average percent 25

!

policy-map Policer

class SMTP

police cir percent 25

!

interface serial0/0

service-policy input Policer

service-policy output Shaper

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Paresh,

I am afraid I have to agree with Scott. You can only shape outbound and not inbound. Policing isn't the same as shaping. Policing strictly sets a limit on how much bandwidth is available for a certain traffic and any excess traffic is dropped, by default. Shaping, on the other hand, allows you to buffer packets and transmit subsequently when the needed criteria is met.

Sundar

Purple

Sundar,

Of course I agree with both of you here... That is the reason I used a policing config for inbound traffic to meet his requirement of restricting the accepted inbound traffic to 25%. There is, of course, no way to limit the actual FTP traffic to 25% on the link without configuring traffic-shaping at the other end.

Paresh.

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses,

Assuming I purely want to limit how much bandwidth a specific protocol can consume, a policy sounds the best option.

What are the pro's and cons of using a policy to control bandwidth?

Also why would traffic shaping for outbound traffic be more preferable or not to policy's?

Apologies if this is a simple question, but I'm having trouble understanding when policy's and traffic shaping come into their own.

Thanks

Purple

Hi,

You have a couple of ways of shaping traffic within the IOS:

1. Using Generic Traffic Shaping

2. Using the Modular QoS CLI (MQC)

The recommended approach is to use MQC where you use policy-maps to define the shaping actions. You cannot separate the concept of policies and shaping when using the MQC - you have to use both constructs in order to implement shaping.

Paresh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content