cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1811 vs. 1841?

brucerockwell
Level 1
Level 1

hi my business network just went down due to a lightning strike, and i need to buy a new router. I have about 50 users locally, 100 vpn in. have two internet connections, 1 cable, 1 metro E. was thinking about load balancing between the 2 connections.

what should I go with the 1811 or the 1841?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dear Bruce Rockwell,

Okay, as per my knowledge it will work fine, but requesting you please consider the feature expansion, if required. Also suggesting you before go for that please consult your local Cisco Vendor / sell partner.

Thnaks

Goutam

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You can match the requirement to the bellow link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/prod_brochure0900aecd8019dc1f.pdf

&

http://www.ciscowebtools.com/productadvisor/routers.asp

Please note if you think for Gigabit Eth then go for Cisco 2821[Integrated services router with AC power, 2GE, 1 NME-X, 1 EVM, 4 HWICs, 3 PVDM slots, 2 AIMs, and Cisco IOS IP Base Software], else can go for Cisco 1841[Modular router with 2 WAN slots, desktop form factor chassis, IP BASE Cisco IOS Software image, 2 Fast Ethernet slots, 32-MB Flash, and 128-MB DRAM]. Also Cisco 2801 and 2811 matches your requirement. Check your budget before you jump. J

Thanks

Goutam

[Pls rate if its help you]

Hi goutam,

thank you for the first link that was very helpful.

now i am just trying to make sure that the 1811 can sufficiently handle 50 internal users with up to 100 remotely logging in. do you have any advice?

hi goutam it looks like i'll need to pick up the 1pt fast ethernet card if i was going to go with the 1841. I'm thinking the 1811 looks like a better choice, sounds like it can do load-balancing much easier. still having trouble identifying how many users it can support though

Hi, Is that site-to-site or remote? Connection or tunnel? Please come back with more specific details. Thanks Goutam.[pls rate helpful posts]

hi there are 40 tunnels (remote branches that have only 1 computer each and a basic linksys router/firewall)

internally there are 35 users.

looking at the spec sheets i think I will be OK with the 1811 but please confirm and let me know if you don't think it will work.

thank you

Bruce

Dear Bruce Rockwell,

Okay, as per my knowledge it will work fine, but requesting you please consider the feature expansion, if required. Also suggesting you before go for that please consult your local Cisco Vendor / sell partner.

Thnaks

Goutam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco