Views
Helpful
Replies

1841 router booting problem

parba.basu
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have 1841 router whos IOS ver is 12.4(1c).when i power on the router first it start booting then decompress the IOS then it suddenly stop booting at bellow mention point

"Port Statistics for unclassified packets is not turned on."

please tell me whats exatly problem and also tell me is this router support to IPV6?

12 Replies 12

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Parba,

Can you post the booting image? Also let me know that if upgrade the IOS? The routers decompress the image while booting because it is compressed into the IOS file. That's how it is with the new IOS's. Don't think it is may trouble you. For Details : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon.html

For the next one can visit http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/, which is a good way to find out any feature Cisco IOS & CatOS.

Thanks

Goutam

Pls rate if it helps u!!!

thanks goutam.

i'll try this and let u know

vaisharm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Praba,

Upgrade the IOS to the latest 12.4 mainline code and you won't see this problem. Alternately, you may try to skip the startup-config and that might help as well. You can then copy the config again, save it and reload.

To prevent the startup config from loading, break into rommon by pressing ctrl+break during the initial few seconds when the router is powered on. From rommon prompt issue 'confreg 0x2142' and then 'reset'. Now, the router would not load the configuration and would be in the setup dialog. Exit it by pressing ctrl+C. Copy the config back to the router, change the configuration register back to 0x2102 and then save & reload.

Here's how you can change the config-register back to the default 0x2102

router(config)#line con 0

config-register 0x2102

end

write mem

reload

Yes, this router does support IPv6. However, you would need one of the following feature sets:

ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES or

ADVANCED IP SERVICES

HTH, do rate if it does.

~Vaibhav

Praba:

If you follow Vaibhav's procedure, make sure you execute a "copy START run", not "copy RUN start" when you "copy the config back to the router" or you will blow out your config.

HTH

Victor

thanks victor

i'll try this & let u know

Oops..I just overlooked that. Thanks for pointing that out Victor.

~Vaibhav

thanks vaibhav

i'll definately try this

Hi Vaibhav,

I'd like to clarify the use of “line con 0” as per my concern changing the “config-reg value”, "line con 0" is not required. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Goutam

Hi Goutam,

Since we are changing the console speed we would have to be under "line con 0" to use the speed command.

See step 5 at the bottom:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml#proc_3600

HTH,

~Vaibhav

Hi,

I am agreeing with you. But how can I assume that you are asking to change the consol speed by your below output.

router(config)#line con 0

config-register 0x2102

end

write mem

reload

Thanks

Goutam

You are right, this should be:

router(config)#config-register 0x2102

router(config)#end

The 'line con 0' is not needed. I was looking at two different posts and mixed them up. To avoid any further confusion for Praba - changing the console speed is NOT related to this post. We first change the config regsiter to 0x2142 from ROMMON to prevent the router from loading the configuration (to rule out the possibility of this being a config related issue).

1. Issue the break sequence to drop into ROMMON mode.

2. ROMMON>confreg 0x2142

3. ROMMON>reset

4. You would see the initial configuration setup. Press Ctrl + C to exit out.

5. At this point you may manually configure the router if the old configuration was not needed. Else, do 'copy start run' to use the old config.

6. Change the configuration register back to the default:

router(config)#config-register 0x2102

router(config)#end

7. You may now save the config and reload the router.

However, if after reboot you run into the same issue again it would mean there's still some misconfiguration. You would have to follow the entire procedure till step 4 and then do manual configuration. Once this is done follow step 6 and 7.

HTH,

~Vaibhav

Hi Vaibhav,

Extremely right, have doubt that post only. Now it's Okay :)

Thanks

Goutam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card