Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

1841 SDSL performance degradation

Hi

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I have just added an SDSL wic to slot 1 of an 1841 router, a serial card is already installed to slot 0.

The router was running with c1841-ipbase-mz.124-1c.bin but I have upgraded it to advanced IP services. Initially I had problems with the IOS recognising the SDSL card (c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.123-8.YG4.bin and c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.123-8.T11.bin) but found a thread in the forum suggesting c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-5b.bin. After applying this IOS the SDSL card is recognised and I am able to get a connection to the internet (BT SDSL in the UK).

The problem is that the browsing experiece is unpredictable, that is to say it can be perfectly normal but after a few minutes it degrades to unusable, it can then resume without interception. A call has been raised with the ISP but I have tested the connection using a different (non-cisco) router and it works perectly well.

A 1000 byte ping to the internet also yields around 10% packet loss but when tested with a differnet router on the same line there is no loss.

Has anybody else experienced this problem or could they perhaps suggest a more suitable IOS?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

2 REPLIES

Re: 1841 SDSL performance degradation

Hi James,

I am a novice in cisco stuff, but I have seen this few times with all my DSL connections

My problems were exactly the same as yours and every time I called Cisco, they fixed it by modifying the MTU size.

I am not too sure where the change is, but I think they do it at the interface where your inside hosts are located

I am pretty sure someone here will help you better, meanwhile I will take a look at my routers where I have DSL connections and I will tell you more exactly where is that little trick

hope it helps a bit :)

Re: 1841 SDSL performance degradation

Thanks for your reply.

I have seen issues before with MTU and DSL lines. Where have you set the MTU? against the interface or the Dialer?

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content