Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

1841 - T1 with DSL failover for outbound NAT

Hello,

I have a 2620XM (12.2) with a T-1 and 1 LAN ports. I would like to provide a backup outbound connection via dsl or cable. I don't think the 2620XM can do the secondary external connection even if I got the additional LAN wic. I am not NATing on this router.

Can the 1841 or any of the 1800 series routers be used in this config to replace the 2620xm.

1 x T-1 for primary outbound

1 x LAN for DSL secondary outbound

1 X LAN for LAN segment connect (another 1841)

Thanks.

7 REPLIES
Silver

Re: 1841 - T1 with DSL failover for outbound NAT

You can add NM-1E in 2620XM if you require 10Mbps LAN connection only.

Or you can use 1841 + WIC-1T can meet your requirement. Check below for details :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016a59b.html

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that will work.

Couldn't you use ADSL WIC in your existing router and connect your ADSL line directly to the router? But of course 1841 has double performance compare to 2620XM.

That can be an option but I am skeptic that the adsl wic will work without issue since I would have to coordinate with Cablevision.

As long as you're allowed to connect your own equipment directly to the DSL line, there shouldn't be issue with the ADSL WIC - they're widely used. Only thing you need before bying WIC is to ask your provider whether it's ADSL-over-POTS or ADSL-over-ISDN and buy corresponding WIC.

Here is a twist to my original question, regardless of the WIC can I load balance or prioritize outgoing traffic over the cable connection with inbound T1 connection being used for websites and failover?

Generally yes. Check last week posts - there were several of the same kind - balancing, failover, policy-routing.

Views
Helpful
Replies