cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1941W Login Reset - (cant login at all)

abc2014de
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I have a little problem...or at least hope it’s little. I was doing an initial setup of a 1941W router. Login in with the default cisco/cisco, switched over to config, typed the a few commands and than ran the following: yourname(config)# username username privilege 15 secret 5 password (I replaced username and password with actual credentials) logout, tried to log back in and received an error of % Login invalid. Doubled check the password the credentials, retired and received the same error. I cannot login at all. I have searched on how to reset the router but the articles require I have access to enable mode, I can’t even cast past the initial login screen, any ideas?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hopefully the link supplied by Jennifer will help you access the router again. I believe that I see what caused the original problem and hope that you will avoid doing this again when you do have access. You indicate that you entered this command:

username username privilege 15 secret 5 password

The problem is the presence of 5 in that command. If you specify secret 5 then the IOS treats what you entered as the already encrypted version of the password. So when configuring the router you should use:

username username privilege 15 secret password

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried to login with the default cisco/cisco password again? Does that work?

I typed the follow commands;

yourname# configure terminal

yourname(config)# username username privilege 15 secret 5 password (replacing usernname/password, with my own)

yourname(config)# no username cisco

yourname(config)# no banner login

yourname(config)# no banner exec

yourname(config)# end

yourname# copy running-config startup-config

So, unfortunately I negated the cisco/cisco. I did receive an error when enter the follow:

yourname(config)# username username privilege 15 secret 5 password (replacing usernname/password, with my own)

referring to encryption but as I was in a rush I thought nothing of it, yes I know my fault. I do not know what the exact error was but I do know that i entered the correct username/password when running the above command and attempting to login. Ill assume I have to reset the router to factor defaults but am unable to find a article to reference.

Hopefully the link supplied by Jennifer will help you access the router again. I believe that I see what caused the original problem and hope that you will avoid doing this again when you do have access. You indicate that you entered this command:

username username privilege 15 secret 5 password

The problem is the presence of 5 in that command. If you specify secret 5 then the IOS treats what you entered as the already encrypted version of the password. So when configuring the router you should use:

username username privilege 15 secret password

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thank you both, Jennifer and Richard for your help. I was able to reset and reconfigure the router. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card