Views
Helpful
Replies

2 internet connections on different sites

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I am looking into putting 2 internet connections on different sites. I use EIGRP in my network. at the moment we just redistribute a static route into the network. If I want to introduce another internet router on my other site, can I just redistribute another static route but change the admin distance of the static route on the backup router?

whats best practice in this situation ?

cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Carl,

you are confusing EIGRP metric with AD, they are different. What you need to do is, influence the metric of the default route while redistributing from the secondary so that it looks less preferrable

Here is a sample config:

Router 1 - Active

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

router eigrp 100

redistribute static metric 10000 1 255 1 1500

Router 2 - Backup

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

router eigrp 100

redistribute static metric 10000 10 255 1 1500

If you notice, I changed the second value while specifying the Metric in router2, this is the delay value and it will result in a higher metric of the default route which your network devices will recieve from these Internet devices.

LAN devices will receive two default routes, but due to the difference in the metric value, the route being learnt from Primary router will be preferred and the other route would be used as secondary only in case of failover

hope the above helps

Neeraj

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Carl,

You can change the eigrp metric of the redistributed static router of your backup site, in order to not selected by the rest nodes of your network. This can be easily achieved by changing e.g. the bandwidth or delay EIGRP metric to the redistribution

If you also want the secondary router with the backup static route to also select the primary router you can achieve this by modified the AD of the static route  to a higher value than EIGRP-EX.

Hope that helps,

Vasilis

can you give me an example of this,

I would of just done an ip route of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1 50 on the backup site, and redistributed this, would it work? what do you mean, can you give me and example of the command you would use?

cheers

Hi Carl,

you are confusing EIGRP metric with AD, they are different. What you need to do is, influence the metric of the default route while redistributing from the secondary so that it looks less preferrable

Here is a sample config:

Router 1 - Active

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

router eigrp 100

redistribute static metric 10000 1 255 1 1500

Router 2 - Backup

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

router eigrp 100

redistribute static metric 10000 10 255 1 1500

If you notice, I changed the second value while specifying the Metric in router2, this is the delay value and it will result in a higher metric of the default route which your network devices will recieve from these Internet devices.

LAN devices will receive two default routes, but due to the difference in the metric value, the route being learnt from Primary router will be preferred and the other route would be used as secondary only in case of failover

hope the above helps

Neeraj

Is this pretty normal practice when having dual internet connections?

well it depends on the how the network is implemented.

If you have layer 3 devices in your network and then have two routers at edge facing internet, then yes, with EIGRP this is the cleanest way to implement failover

If you only have PC's/users/clients on the LAN, then using HSRP (or GLBP if load balancing is required) on the router's LAN interface would be the recommended way to deploye the solution

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: