cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 isp's from one network

davidstillert
Level 1
Level 1

I have a second link being installed this week to a second ISP.  Each ISP has tunnels that terminate on there routers for various services. 

Right now on the 6509 I have a static default route which sends all traffic to ISP one.  Once I get the second link installed I would only like to send specific traffic to ISP1 and everything else to ISP2 unless the link is down.  Would policy routing on the 6509 fit my needs?

I would like to send 172.20.0.0 / 24 and 10.25.0.0 to isp one and everything else to ISP2.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave.network.jpg

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sure you can

See the below document where you can use pbr with ip sla to achieve it

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8313

Hope this help

If helpful rate

Dave

PBR would be an appropriate solution for what you want to achieve. I would suggest that you configure a primary static default route with ISP 2 as the next hop. Then to achieve failover you would configure a second default route with an administrative distance to make a floating static default route. You may need to configure IP SLA/tracking to make sure that the primary default route is removed from the routing table if you lose connectivity to ISP 2. You would then configure PBR with a route map assigned to the interface where the traffic arrives on the 6509. The route map would identify the traffic that you want to route differently and specify its next hop as ISP 1.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

davidstillert
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replies but where would I apply route maps? To each vlan interface? Natting is done by each ISP router which connects to the core via routed ports on it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Dave

At this point the best I can do is to repeat what I said in my previous post, which is that the route map is configured on the interfaces on which traffic arrives that you want to route differently from the normal default route.

I tried to formulate an answer that would be specific to the topology given in the original post. But you tell us the subnets that you want to route differently are 172.20.0.0 / 24 and 10.25.0.0 but when I look in the diagram that shows the topology these subnets are not there. So I do not know what to tell you about where the route map would be placed except to say that it would be on the interfaces where 172.20.0.0 / 24 and 10.25.0.0 connect to the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card