Views
Helpful
Replies

2 MAIN Office with BGP Multihoming in each location

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts

Is it necessary for the enterprise has two MAIN Offices with public AS along with 4 Class C address with BGP Multihoming to 2 different ISPs in each location to run iBGP Betwen this two different regional locations?What if the two locations dont  have a high bandwidth enterprise WAN connection between them (link speed is only 1M)

thanks

jamil

4 Replies 4

oyama.hall
Level 1
Level 1

By introducing the concept of multi-homing, it is necessary that you have your own public autonomous system number, that is provided that you are multi-homing with two different Internet service providers. If you are multi-homing with the same internet service provider, it is not uncommon to see a service provider extend their, system to you.

If the objective is to have failover, that is you're advertising the same block (subnet) at each site with metrics applied systematically that allow for failover, then yes, it is necessary that they have some connection between them. iBGP would allow the two routers the ability to communicate and failover one for the other in regards to the WAN connection. The speed of the link doesn't matter. It all boils down to if the company wants to stay online in the event of a network outage at one location caused by an equipment failure or the loss of a link at a site.

thanks oyama

i have a public as anlong with 4 class C from ripe,in each region i am multihoming to 2 different isp

do i need any sort of iBGP betwwen regions also,take into consideration in each region i have iBGP

Thanks

jamil

The core question is...what are you trying to achieve? Failover? If so...where is the failover occuring? On the WAN? On the LAN or Enterprise...or both? If you are multihoming today....you have WAN failover for each region, but not for both. Are you wanting failover between regions?

Hi oyama

pls finf attachment

the scenario is: region 1 serve all users in region 1, region 2 serve all users in region 2 ,wan link to backup each other i mean if the main H.O in region 1 goes down ,region 2 start serving region 1 users,

on this wan link which is 100M speed do i need to run iBGP?

thanks

jamil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card