Views
Helpful
Replies

2 million routes in 7200 or 7600 series

zohaib.shabir
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I want to know at what minimum platform cisco supports 2 million internet routes

2 Replies 2

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

How did you end up with 2 million internet routes? BGP is the routing protocol use in the internet, every network domain connected to internet and runs BGP use aggregation at their boundary router. Although there are some cases that my peer accidentally advertised to me bunches of /27 to /32 it will not happen that the entire internet BGP community will do so. Beside there is a way to prevent yourself being flooded with longer prefixes, I use minimum of /24 I heard some ISP use a minimum of /23 or /22.

However, putting those routes in the routing table consumes memory. For BGP to load 100K plus of internet route on its routing table, the minimum is 256MB RAM, it would be safe to have 512MB RAM specially if you run other services in the router beside BGP.

Regards,

Dandy

Thank you Dany,

Actually i also want to quote a cisco router to one of my clients who wants to run BGP with 2 million routes and also for internet aggregation.

In the end thank you very much for your elaborated reply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco