Views
Helpful
Replies

2 questions regarding optical fiber (SFP) and Cisco gear

volfoni91
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In france, currently we're requesting to our Internet provider (Orange : France Telecom) to update our

access with optical fiber (replacing copper wires).

In a few words, we're using VPN and Orange boxes to remote connect on customer newtorks to give them some support.

My 2 questions are :

- can we add a SFP port (optical fiber) on a Cisco router ?

- Is there any adsl Cisco modems supporting the optical fiber ?

I hope I could correctly express my demand,

thanks a lot in advance,

best regards,

Laurent

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

- can we add a SFP port (optical fiber) on a Cisco router ? High end routers, (ASR, 76xx,GSR....newer ISRs  sucha as some models of 3900 and 2900 series )

What model router are you particularly interested in ?

- Is there any adsl Cisco modems supporting the optical fiber ?  - None that I could find.

View solution in original post

Well, the Pix is actually a security device (firewall). It has been end of sale for quite some time.

I would suggest looking at the ASA series if you want to keep the same topology.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

- can we add a SFP port (optical fiber) on a Cisco router ? High end routers, (ASR, 76xx,GSR....newer ISRs  sucha as some models of 3900 and 2900 series )

What model router are you particularly interested in ?

- Is there any adsl Cisco modems supporting the optical fiber ?  - None that I could find.

Thanks a lot vmiller,

The model router is a PIX 515E

Well, the Pix is actually a security device (firewall). It has been end of sale for quite some time.

I would suggest looking at the ASA series if you want to keep the same topology.

Ok, so you mean that replacing my 515E by a ASA serie I could have the same utility (firewall)

and I will be able to plug SFP modules on it ?

Thx again

Yes & No. You would get the same security functionality, but according to the data sheet you would need the 5580 to

get SFP compatability. You might consider a small, sfp capable switch to terminate your link, and then connect the

firewall to the switch.

Bon Chance...

Thanks a lot !

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card