Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2 questions regarding optical fiber (SFP) and Cisco gear

Hello,

In france, currently we're requesting to our Internet provider (Orange : France Telecom) to update our

access with optical fiber (replacing copper wires).

In a few words, we're using VPN and Orange boxes to remote connect on customer newtorks to give them some support.

My 2 questions are :

- can we add a SFP port (optical fiber) on a Cisco router ?

- Is there any adsl Cisco modems supporting the optical fiber ?

I hope I could correctly express my demand,

thanks a lot in advance,

best regards,

Laurent

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: 2 questions regarding optical fiber (SFP) and Cisco gear

- can we add a SFP port (optical fiber) on a Cisco router ? High end routers, (ASR, 76xx,GSR....newer ISRs  sucha as some models of 3900 and 2900 series )

What model router are you particularly interested in ?

- Is there any adsl Cisco modems supporting the optical fiber ?  - None that I could find.

Gold

Well, the Pix is actually a security device (firewall). It has been end of sale for quite some time.

I would suggest looking at the ASA series if you want to keep the same topology.

6 REPLIES
Gold

- can we add a SFP port (optical fiber) on a Cisco router ? High end routers, (ASR, 76xx,GSR....newer ISRs  sucha as some models of 3900 and 2900 series )

What model router are you particularly interested in ?

- Is there any adsl Cisco modems supporting the optical fiber ?  - None that I could find.

Thanks a lot vmiller,

The model router is a PIX 515E

Gold

Well, the Pix is actually a security device (firewall). It has been end of sale for quite some time.

I would suggest looking at the ASA series if you want to keep the same topology.

Ok, so you mean that replacing my 515E by a ASA serie I could have the same utility (firewall)

and I will be able to plug SFP modules on it ?

Thx again

Gold

Yes & No. You would get the same security functionality, but according to the data sheet you would need the 5580 to

get SFP compatability. You might consider a small, sfp capable switch to terminate your link, and then connect the

firewall to the switch.

Bon Chance...

Thanks a lot !

Views
Helpful
Replies