Views
Helpful
Replies

2 static route

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day!

i have installed 2 Wirless Link in Branche office Toward the HO.to achieve redundancy.i need to configure 2 static route pointing to the HO.IF The primary route fail the 2nd will be Available.simple config for this situation very much appreciated.

10xs

12 Replies 12

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

You need to put 2 static route, make redundancy route as high cost in route and primary route has lower cost. so when primary route is fail, backup route will take responsibility.

-Minu

ip route 10.x.x.x.x Mask 255.0.0.0 Metric 50 Back up

Ip route 10.x.x.x. Mask 255.0.0.0 Metric 10 primary.

I hope this will help you, please rate this post if useful..

HI Friend.

10xs for ur quik response.Do u have a link that contain examples like my Sutation

10xs

Hi alsayed,

above configuration will work properly as good as in wired network.

Well for better link utilization i will suggest you to put same administrative distance for load balancing. so at the same time you will be using both the link at a time and if any of the link goes down than other link will take care of it.

please rate if it helps.

HTH

kamlesh

Hi Friend

could u please post a usefull link that explains the matter as a reference!

10xs

hi alsayed,

here is an example you can refer it has isdn backup configuration which is not in your case but for your reference you can delete it.

but as you can see it has a static route pointing to isdn interface with higher ad of routing protocol such that if any wan interface goes down it will be installed in the routing table and it will fire the isdn line

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/fr_isdn_backup.html

ip route 172.16.4.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.3.2 200

in above static route AD is 200 which makes is floating and will be active in case the dynamic routing failes or interface fails or other static route with lower ad like 100 fails. which will solve your problem.

please rate if it helps.

kamlesh

Hi Friend!

Tayeb;What about if the first primary route become available;what happen to the 2nd route.how the primary bocame avtive?the static route recalculate the routing table to install the Primary route?

10xs

Ali

now when your first primary route will become active then it will again appere in to the routing table as it is having lower AD than the secondary route which is having higer AD... and your secondary route will be remove from the routing table...

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Hi Friends!

Thank U Very Much.

ali you will have more idea regarding to Administrative Distance AD from this link:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094195.shtml

when ever we are talking aboute the AD then lowest the AD route or routing portocol will be selected as primary and other routes will be used as back up ...

let say you are having one route to destination which is configure with AD 50 and other route to same destination will configure with AD of 100... at that time pathe with lowest AD of 50 will be selected as best path ... if path with AD 50 goes down then other path of higher AD (in our case it is 100) will take care for the forwarding of data...

hope this will help you to understand

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Hello,

I have a problem related to this task and I appreciate if someone can help me.

I have a site connected to another through microwave link.

I'm using floating static routes to backup the microwave with 2 lines: 1 ISDN and 1 analog.

The AD for ISDN is 95 and for analog its 100.

The problem is:

when the microwave goes down, the ISDN will bakup it. If the ISDN line has a problem, it keeps trying to dial and the analog doesn't dial as the ISDN is keeping dialing all time.

When I shut the BRI interface, the analog line dials and everything works fine.

How can we configure to switch to analog line dialing if the ISDN is failing?

thanks for your help,

Georges

Georges,

Floating static route tends to work fine when it's acting as a backup to another normal route. Your problem is due to the fact you are using a floating static route to back up another floating static route.

Try this.

1. Leave only one floating static route via Analog.

2. Configure BRI interface as backup to microwave using 'standby' command under microwave int.

3. Run a routing protocol, EIGRP is good, across BRI interface.

4. In your dialer list ACL make hellos as interesting traffic.

5. On the far end ISDN device, advertise the network(s) via EIGRP when the link's up.

6. If you are having issues across the BRI link and not learning the route via EIGRP then the router would use the floating static route via analog to route traffic.

HTH

Sundar

Hello Sundar,

thanks for your quick reply.

I've tried today another configuration and it worked.

I've configured the 2 floating static routes with the same administrative distance.

When the microwave link goes down, the ISDN and the analog try to dial. As the ISDN call setup is much more faster, the ISDN will go up before, learn routes through EIGRP and the analog stays dowm.

Thank you,

Georges

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card