Views
Helpful
Replies

2 SVI in l2 swicthes (c2960)

bava_ccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

is it possible to create 2 svi in cisco 2960 switch & make both svi up & working..

Thnx in adv

10 Replies 10

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Since its a L2 switch you cant have more than one SVI, it will automatically shut the existing SVI interface if you configure a new one.

You need a L2 switch to have more than one SVIs.

regds

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

Any layer 2 switch can only have one SVI, to have more you will need a Layer 3 switch.

If you notice on the L2 switch you create an SVI, then try another it will write over the previous SVI.  This vlan is typically used for management purposes.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can create 2 or more interface VLANs for a 2960.  The 2960 will allow you to enable multiple interface VLANs.

The 2900XL/3500XL and 2940/2950 series will only allow one SVI to be active at any time.

Hi Leo,

I also noticed that: It's possible to configure second SVI on Cat2960 without the first one being shutdown (unlike it was on 2950s or XL switches).

So 2960 behaves like a PC with two NICs then.

Still only one default gateway configurable.

Or is it possible to configure some static routes?

The Configuration guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swipaddr.html#wp1037806

says "Note When your switch is configured to route with IP, it does not need to have a default gateway set."

But IMHO, it's a nonsense, as 2960 is an L2 switch, isn't it?

Thanks,

Milan

I wouldn't say it's nonsense, cisco is just allowing a bit of flexability. This can also be handy for troubleshooting etc without losing connectivity via your management SVI.

Hi,

IMHO, the sentence "When your switch is configured to route with IP, it does not need to have a default gateway set." is a nonsense, as an L2 swich can't be configured to route IP.

Am I clear now?

BR,

Milan

Hi Milan

"When your switch is configured to route with IP, it does not need to have a default gateway set." is as we know a true statement however as you say it doesn't make sense when applied to a L2 switch.

Not sure if you are aware that Cisco have actually enabled IP routing capability on 2960s switches although it does seem to be a little less than reliable at the moment -

2960s routing thread

Jon

Hi Jon,

ohh, I did not notice that!

It makes sense to configure multiple SVIs then :-)

Thanks,

Milan

Jon, Milan,

This is probably playing with words, but as a matter of fact, if the 2960 is able to provide basic routing capabilities (which it is) then it is not a Layer2 switch anymore, is it?

Best regards,

Peter

paluchpeter wrote:

Jon, Milan,

This is probably playing with words, but as a matter of fact, if the 2960 is able to provide basic routing capabilities (which it is) then it is not a Layer2 switch anymore, is it?

Best regards,

Peter

Peter

Yes it is playing with words, enough said

Seriously though, you are technically correct but i would be reluctant to start calling a 2960s a L3 switch in posts as it is it a very specific setup as far as i can tell ie. you need LAN Base and i'm still not sure whether it only applies to the 2960s or to 2960 as well. In addition the routing capabilities are extremely limited.

So it's not really like a 3560/3750 etc. which is fully functional L3 switch even with IP Base.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card