Views
Helpful
Replies

2 WAN lines backup hotstandby

networking.stud
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

In one of our sites we added a second WAN line for backup because there is located call center dep. that are working with VoIP applic.

On a 2800 series router I need to configure hot standby connection for 2 WAN lines with a possible minimum time swiching from one to other WAN line, in order to not having any call drop or disconnection.

Please, may you help me on doing that?

Thank you in advance for helping me!

8 Replies 8

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

What version of code is running on your routers?

take a look at this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8c.shtml

Thanks for reply.

Router runs software version 12.4(15)T7

I will take a look on that link.

I saw that article. But I need viceversa solution.

Pls, find my scenario on attached file.

I need to configure only remote site router (maybe with the help of HSRP) Please, I need help with configs.

Thank you!

Are you terminating both the WAN links on the same router at the remote site? This will become a single point of failure and is not recommended. HSRP comes into picture where you have 2 routers with 2 uplinks.

But if you have 2 x 2800 then its pretty straightforward and the linkin the above post should be good enough to set it up. But if you want us to give you the whole config then please give the ip addressing etc and we will be able to draft you the config

HTH

Kishore

Unfortunately its is not allowed by our security roules but if you help me with any example or any config it will be grat.

Thank you again for your help!

A static route to the destination with an administrative distance slightly greater than the current route would work.

Actually, I have done that config but when switching from primary to backup line and vice-versa there is a slight timeout, about 3ms which cause drop of all active calls.

Pls, any idea how to reduce switching time on possible minimum time?

I don't know of one. One of the best switchover mechanisims (APS in SONET) calls for 50 milliseconds.

Lets see if anyone else has an idea.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card