Views
Helpful
Replies

25 Mts to copy 500K

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

i have installed 2 sites.site A & site B the connection between them is leased line 128kbps.i have a strange problem.from site A i want to download a file from site B the size of the file is 500K.sound this strange matter"THE TIME TO COPY THIS FILE FROM SITE B TO SITE A IS 25 m.how can i solve this strange problem.PS have a look to the attached diagrame.

10xs for ur help.

5 Replies 5

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

There are a few things to look at. First of all is your file the only packets that are on that line.? DO you have other employees using the line? What is the line utilization at the time of your transfer (both sides). Do you have any QOS applied either way? What kind of routers / switches are you using? Is the 128k a frame relay and possibly you are discarding your packets for the frame relay DE is set for you over exceeded your CIR??

These are just a few items to look at.....

Hi

Ofcourse I have 20 employees that at both side.i dont have any QOS.THE Line is lease line 128.

2 routers 2610XM AT Both end.

3Com switchs at both end

q1)how can i verify line utilization at the time of my transfer (both sides).

.do i need a QOS?if yes how can i configure this.

10xs

I would verify that you do not have any duplex issues with the 3Com switches to your end devices.As well as verifying the connectivity of those switches to the routers. To verify the utilization on the link first go to the serial interfaces on both ends and use the load interval 30 to set the load interval calculations to 30 seconds. Make sure your bandwidth statement on the interfaces are set for 128000 (use the bandwidth statement on the interface). Then upon traffic load use the show interface serial command. Look for the TX and RX load statistics. They are given as a xxx/255 ratio. As the load increases the numerator will increase. So if you see 128/255 that means that you are using half the bandwidth.If you are approaching 255 on the numerator then your link is being utilized to its maximum capacity. If you are maxing out your link then you should look into using QOS and prioritizing your FTP traffic out on the link.....

Hi Friend!

10xs for ur response.u didn;t told me how can i using QOS on the link between the 2 ends.+ how can achieve QOS and prioritizing the FTP traffic out on the link?

10xs

hi ali,

deploying QOS is all up to your requirement... and your traffice nature... which kind of traffice you are having in your network? you can have VOIP, mask of file transfer like FTP, etc. types of traffic. now voip traffic will have highest priority and FTP traffic will have lower then voip... QOS is all about to identify traffice, then mark that traffic so the router can put that traffic in appropriate high priority queue and accordingly router will take decision to router your traffice... so QOS having tools like classifing, marking, queuing, policing and shaping to route your traffic appropriately... you can get good documents on cisco.com for the configuring QOS...

regards

Devang

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card