cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2520 console connect help plz!

elementsquared
Level 1
Level 1

HI! i need help fast!!! how can i connect to a 2520 router console and with what program and settings! i have the cable, but nothing is showing up under hyper terminal!! thx!

9 Replies 9

rajivrajan1
Level 3
Level 3

confiure with exact com port and restore defaults.

suspecting - after connect what shall we do?

I bought the router off ebay, and i dont have the manuel, so i dont know what the defaults are, and their not on the site!!!! i thought 9600 8-N-1, and that doesn't work!

check the com port

What do you mean? it is hooked up like this..

Console Rj45----Rolled Cable---rj-45 to db-9---computer.

i use hyper terminal

sir,

please chk the config side is the hyp terminal configured for exact com port settings?

try downloading hyperterm.exe from

http://www.ncat.co.uk/Download/index.htm

if your hyp term having issues.

chk cable weather it's ok or not.

The cable is ok, i downloaded the program, and it still doesn't work, nothing shows up at all, i have tried every setting possible!! Do you think it is a problem with the console port of the router?

might be.. if all the options are not working then it may be the problem with console port.

try using this same setup in any other cisco device ( if possible).

I have two of the same routers, same problem, maybe its the cable

Johnathan

If you have two routers and it does not work on either one then it does sound suspicious that the cable or connectors may be faulty.

It may also be that the console port on the 2520 has been set to a different speed. The 2520 console supports 4 speeds: 1200, 2400, 4800, and 9600 (with 9600 being the default). It might help to configure Hyperterm to each of the speeds, stop Hyperterm, start Hyperterm again (many versions of Hyperterm do not recognize the change in speed till it stops and starts again) and see if you get anything.

Another thing to be aware of is whether you see output messages while the router is booting. If you see readable messages then you know that you have the correct speed. If the console still does not work then there is some other issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco