Views
Helpful
Replies

2610 0x2101 problem

scott.bridges
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have this 2610 router and I'm trying to flash a new IOS.  The router was given to us so we do not have the passwords.

I get to rommon and do "confreg 0x2101" then "reset" to reboot the router.

The problem is that it loads the installed IOS normally; with the configuration and everything.  It's like it's completely ignoring the confreg command.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

scott.bridges wrote:

Hello,

I have this 2610 router and I'm trying to flash a new IOS.  The router was given to us so we do not have the passwords.

The problem is that it loads the installed IOS normally; with the configuration and everything.  It's like it's completely ignoring the confreg command.

Any ideas?

Scott

0x2101 just tells the router to load the first IOS it finds in flash and it will use the saved config. If you are trying to do a password recovery and want to bypass the saved config you need to use 0x2142. See this link for full details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

scott.bridges wrote:

Hello,

Any ideas?

Scott

0x2101 just tells the router to load the first IOS it finds in flash and it will use the saved config. If you are trying to do a password recovery and want to bypass the saved config you need to use 0x2142. See this link for full details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml

Jon

Thank you!

Whatever page I was using for that 2101 was obviously incorrect.

I now have the router wiped with a default config.  I'm trying to load an updated IOS on here.  My TFTP server is 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 and I *am* able to ping the router from my computer (tftp server).  However, I cannot ping the computer *from* the router.  So I cannot TFTP.

int ethernet 0/0

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

no shut

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ethernet 0/0

copy tftp: flash:

filename.bin

And it times out.  Am I missing something obvious?

scott.bridges wrote:

Thank you!

Whatever page I was using for that 2101 was obviously incorrect.

I now have the router wiped with a default config.  I'm trying to load an updated IOS on here.  My TFTP server is 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 and I *am* able to ping the router from my computer (tftp server).  However, I cannot ping the computer *from* the router.  So I cannot TFTP.

int ethernet 0/0

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

no shut

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ethernet 0/0

copy tftp: flash:

filename.bin

And it times out.  Am I missing something obvious?

Scott

If you can ping the router from the computer but not the other way around then you should check to see if there is a personal firewall on the computer blocking incoming traffic.

Jon

Firewall on the PC?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The password recovery procedure states that initial bootup, the config-registry should be 0x2142.  I have no idea what proceedure you are following.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card