Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2611XM hardware problem ?

I just purchased a 2611XM from ebay for $460 bucks and I'm having problems with it hanging on bootup.

Can anyone help me out with some things I could try to fix this ?

It boots occasionally, mostly it hangs on boot, usually at the same place. I am not seeing an error and the front activity light flashes every 10 secs approx, when it's hung.

When it hangs it will not accept any input from hyperterm.

I have tried reseating the flash and the memory. Sometimes it will boot. I am hoping that is all that is wrong.

I am pretty pissed at this point and the buyer says it's not his problem as he sold it 'as is'

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.

,C2600 platform with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0xc68440

Self decompressing the image : #################################################

################################################################################

################################################################################

############################# [OK]

Smart Init is enabled

smart init is sizing iomem

ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE

00036B 0X0010A400 C2611XM Dual Fast Ethernet

0X000F3BB0 public buffer pools

0X00211000 public particle pools

TOTAL: 0X0040EFB0

If any of the above Memory Requirements are

"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported

configuration or there is a software problem and

system operation may be compromised.

Rounded IOMEM up to: 5Mb.

Using 7 percent iomem. [5Mb/64Mb]

(I cut the copyright out)

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-JK9O3S-M), Version 12.2(24b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (f

c1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 23-Jul-04 21:35 by pwade

Image text-base: 0x8000808C, data-base: 0x816057F4

cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 60416K/5120K bytes of mem

ory.

Processor board ID JMX0705L8S9 (3050259404)

M860 processor: part number 0, mask 32

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

SuperLAT software (copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology Corp).

TN3270 Emulation software.

2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:14: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up

00:00:14: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up

00:00:15: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, chang

ed state to down

00:00:15: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, chang

ed state to down

00:00:15: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

00:00:17: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to administr

atively down

00:00:19: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-JK9O3S-M), Version 12.2(24b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (f

c1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 23-Jul-04 21:35 by pwade

00:00:19: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host Router is undergoing a cold star

t

(It is now hung, it mostly hangs at this point)

I just don't want it to be a dryjoint etc as I will be screwed.

• WAN Routing and Switching
5 REPLIES
Blue

Re: 2611XM hardware problem ?

what you should do is try to get the router to boot without loading its configuration.

use the password recovery technique to get the router to boot up and ignore configuration on boot.

see the following link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml

it looks as though your configuration may be hanging so if you can boot the router without loading the configuration, you may be able to at least get to the router prompt and browse around, change config, etc.

Hi,

Did you try to write erase the config and boot up fresh. This would rule out there's nothing in the config that could be causing this behavior. The reason I am saying is that I see the iomem is manually set to 7% and I believe the default is 20%.

If that doesn't help, remove all modules and boot up the router and if it boots up fine then starting putting in the modules one at a time and this would help isolating the problem. If the router doesn't boot up with no modules inserted then I am afraid you may have a faulty router. I hope that's not the case.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Sundar

Thanks so much for your replies. I have erased the config and rebooted.

One time I got the router to boot and I configured the fa0/0 port with an IP.

I can boot the router and telnet to it on fa0/0 or fa0/1 now. However the problem of the console hanging still exists. It really seems to be that the console is hanging.

There are no modules installed at present.

Any ideas why the console is hanging ?

What is the iomem and should I change something here ?

Thanks

Hi,

Does it hang for good at times or does it take a long time to finish booting? If it simply takes a long time to boot then I am going to say it's probably the result of wear and tear. I used to have a old 2500 (ofcourse, i bought it in ebay as well:))in my lab and would take a good 5 mins to finishing booting up.

As far as your question about iomem is concerned the router allocates memory for input/output (iomem) and processes. By default, the router allocates 20 or 25% for input/output and the rest for processes. If you already did a 'write erase' and rebooted the router then everything should have been restored to the default. There's another option called 'smart init' where the router dynamically allocates memory. I don't know if it's turned on by default in the version of code you are using.

Hope that helps!!

Regards,

Sundar

I figured it out.

The console port on the router is bad.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, depends how I carefully jiggle the connector.

:-(

Views
Helpful
Replies