cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2612 serial interface problem

bellocarico
Level 1
Level 1

I've got 2x 2612 callected each other with 2 serial crossover cables.

One of the connections doesn't want to come up. Or better, it comes up but goes back down after 5 seconds.

I've tried to swap the 2 cables, but the problem seems to be stick to the serial port instead...

I've changed encapsulation protocol, still no luck.

I've also tryed to decrease the clock rate to 64000 (just in case) but nothing at all.

One connection up and the other down :-(

Any advice?

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stefano

When someone has problems with routers connected back to back via serial cable the first thing that occurs to me is to check to be sure that one end of the connection is DTE and one is DCE. And you need to know which is which. The one that is DCE needs to have clock rate configured. Can you verify that on the problem connection that the end that is DCE has clock rate configured?

If you are sure that the correct interface has clock rate configured then it would be helpful if you would post the output of show interface and show controller for both interfaces on both routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick, already checked.

There is a label on the cable (from the producer) indicating DCE and DTE side.

I've also doublechecked this using the

show controller serial 0/2 command.

I've now moved the cable (and the config) to serial 0/1 and now everything works fine.

At this point I suspect an hardware problem...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco