Views
Helpful
Replies

2800 Series Model Comparison

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

I've been looking for a chart that can tell me

how much traffic the 2811 and 2821 take but all I find is information on what I can add to these

2 models.

I've seen before charts where you can see the actual throughput that models can take... any help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

look at this pdf that is widely common in the forums

These are raw number with unidirectional traffic and no additional features like NAT, QOS or ACLs applied

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

look at this pdf that is widely common in the forums

These are raw number with unidirectional traffic and no additional features like NAT, QOS or ACLs applied

Hope to help

Giuseppe

this is sexy information. thank you.

I can see that the 2821 is 5.888 Mbps in Process Switching compared to 1.536 for the 2811. How big of a difference is this? are the any real examples so one can see and make a decision on which to buy?

I have a 2821 and a 2811. The 2821 comes with more slots for expansion but my number one use for the router is only gonna be data on few IPSec Lan-to-Lan tunnels. There will be no voice deployed on this environment, so this is why I incline to go for the 2811, but at the same time, these new numbers about the throughput seduce me a little bit, so I'd like to go for the 2821.

Speed is what it counts for me; we have web sites and hosted services that are accessed remotely by our customers. So with this said, what would you say will be a better choice? (again, the 2821 is certainly stronger, but it is also bulky. whichever I choose, I have to buy 2 for failover/high availability)

thank you

Hello,

you should look at the CEF column because process switching is slower and not efficient and it used only for routing protocol messages and ARP in a well configured IP network

divide the number  by two

you get 30 Mbps bidirectional for 2811 and 43 mbps for 2821.

I would say that the pair could be made of a 2821 and a 2811 depending on how routing is implemented.

I would use two 2821 if possible. The VPN module is a must for your scenario (it probably comes in the bundle)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

you're saying that the failover/high availability pair can actually be made of the 2821 and the 2811 but it'll be better if 2 2821s are deployed?

forcing routing protocol messages and ARP to use process switching sounds interesting. the 2821 does come with actually 2 embedded vpn modules which, like you use, will indeed be better... but the 2811 has one too

what commands will give exact visibility as to how the embedded vpn module is being used?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card