cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811>hsrp on e0+e1>loopback0>asyncline can I do it?

pmickelsen
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to see if I can use both ethernet ports on a 2811 to run hsrp for non-stacked dual switch failover.  Then link the the NM-32A ports to L0, so the remote access server trying to use them can use the l0 ip and failover much faster (it's programming is limited).  This is on IOS 12.4(25)f, though we are moving to 15 soon.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello pmickelsen,

you cannot run HSRP between two LAN interfaces of the same router, because you cannot configure two IP addresses belonging to the same IP subnet on a single box.

In order to achieve redundancy towards the two unstacked switches you could use IRB integrated Routing Bridging

int eth0

no ip address

bridge-group1

int eth1

no ip address

bridge-group 1

interface BVI1

description layer3 info here

bridge 1 route ip

bridge 1 protocol ieee

Be aware that this configuration will introduce STP IEEE on the router physical interface and router STP will interact wih STP running on the two LAN switches.

One interface will be in STP blocking if STP root bridge is on the LAN switches.

Usually for terminal server the two lan interfaces are configured for two different IP subnets and or static routes or a routing protocol is used to advertise the terminal server loopback address to two different routers or multilayer switches.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello pmickelsen,

you cannot run HSRP between two LAN interfaces of the same router, because you cannot configure two IP addresses belonging to the same IP subnet on a single box.

In order to achieve redundancy towards the two unstacked switches you could use IRB integrated Routing Bridging

int eth0

no ip address

bridge-group1

int eth1

no ip address

bridge-group 1

interface BVI1

description layer3 info here

bridge 1 route ip

bridge 1 protocol ieee

Be aware that this configuration will introduce STP IEEE on the router physical interface and router STP will interact wih STP running on the two LAN switches.

One interface will be in STP blocking if STP root bridge is on the LAN switches.

Usually for terminal server the two lan interfaces are configured for two different IP subnets and or static routes or a routing protocol is used to advertise the terminal server loopback address to two different routers or multilayer switches.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you!  Exactly what I was looking for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card