cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 or 2821

mrcooper1
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading a 5 user remote site from stand alone DSL to T1 P-to_P to regional HQ. I am deciding between a 2811 w/a Switch or a 2821 with a T1 module and Ethernet modules. I'd like to know which way to go, esp. cost wise and parts# needed. Thnx a mil.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can get a 1861, does voip/CME/SRTS and all the stuff plus it has 8 nice PoE ports.

Sometime you may want to be the one that shows others how to spend money wisely.

View solution in original post

If you're forced to chose between the 2811 vs. 2821, not a huge difference in performance. The 2821 offers about 41% more forwarding performance, but in absolute terms it's 170 Kpps vs 120 Kpps (64 byte packets). I.e., either could be inadequate for even a single 100 Mbps, although fine for a couple or several T1s.

The 2821 does come with gig Ethernet interface, again not very useful with its low forwarding performance, but it also supports a NME-X module.

If money isn't an object, go with the 2821 to have a bit more capacity. If money is tight, go with the 2811 unless you know for sure you need the 2821.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Honest with you, a 1841 is enough for T1.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Paolo, the 1841 fits your needs rather nicely unless we are missing some other requirements.

As for the differences between 2811 vs 2821; 2821 gives you LAN GigE and an additional DSP

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_models_comparison.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

agreed, but these sites are being set up with the hope of going to VoIP in the near future without necessarily having to replace the entire hardware. I figured I can get the proper IOS in and wait for whenever VoIP rolls around. Also, the enterprise is standardised on 2811/2821 and above depending on size.

You can get a 1861, does voip/CME/SRTS and all the stuff plus it has 8 nice PoE ports.

Sometime you may want to be the one that shows others how to spend money wisely.

Paolo. I think that will do it. For the goal, a 2811 is a bit much. thnx all.

You are welcome. Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

If you're forced to chose between the 2811 vs. 2821, not a huge difference in performance. The 2821 offers about 41% more forwarding performance, but in absolute terms it's 170 Kpps vs 120 Kpps (64 byte packets). I.e., either could be inadequate for even a single 100 Mbps, although fine for a couple or several T1s.

The 2821 does come with gig Ethernet interface, again not very useful with its low forwarding performance, but it also supports a NME-X module.

If money isn't an object, go with the 2821 to have a bit more capacity. If money is tight, go with the 2811 unless you know for sure you need the 2821.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card