Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

2811 specification

Hello All,

Does anyone know if I can use the Cisco 2811 router as a layer 2 switch only?

I need to replace Alcatel OmniAccess 512's in a network (these are LAN/WAN switches - 12 x 10/100 tx LAN ports and frame-relay over 2 x E1/T1 WAN ports ).

I was thinking the 2811 might be a good replacement but I need to know if it can do layer 2 only (I want to avoid layer 3, as I cannot afford a costly redesign of the customers DCN).

Many Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: 2811 specification

I forget there is something about only 8 ports in the 9 being usable. But yes you can bridge everything together. I have done this with normal point to point but not frame relay.

Hopefully someone here who has done more frame relay bridging can help. It sounds like you will need to multilink the wan ports and run 802.1q trunks over them. Even I would like to see that configuration.

6 REPLIES
Gold

There are a number of switch module you can place in the 2811 that be layer 2 if you want them to be.

Not exactly sure how you plan to get layer 2 over the frame circuits. I guess you could bridge them to the switch module. This is not the best thing to be doing.

Hi tdrais, Thanks for getting back to me. In the current setup the 10/100 tx ports carrying a number of VLAN's, are trunked over the E1 WAN ports via frame relay. Instances of spanning tree run over the E1 WAN ports between connected switches.

So are you saying I can do the same job using something like the 9 port ethernet WIC and 2 port E1 WIC?

I appreciate this config isn't ideal but I think when this network was designed, there wasn't a router around with the port density required that could also do the E1.

Cheers,

John

Gold

I forget there is something about only 8 ports in the 9 being usable. But yes you can bridge everything together. I have done this with normal point to point but not frame relay.

Hopefully someone here who has done more frame relay bridging can help. It sounds like you will need to multilink the wan ports and run 802.1q trunks over them. Even I would like to see that configuration.

Yeah, I think it's the ninth port that doesn't support the old in-line power. Great news on the bridging - thanks for that.

Could you please just confirm what you mean by multilinking the WAN ports?

Cheers,

John

Gold

If you want both ports to appear as a single connection you must bond them together. There are basically 2 way multilink ppp and mulilink frame-relay. In your case multilink frame may be better but this is something the provider must offer and configure. I deal all the time with multilink stuff but not bridging it.

You of course could bridge over both and let spanning tree block one I guess or use them as separate bridge groups.

Oh yes, I see what you mean now, but it should't apply in my case as the switches are connected in a ring.

Tim, many thanks for all your help on this, it is greatly appreciated. If I get this all working I will let you know how I done it!

Best Regards,

John

Views
Helpful
Replies