cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 T1 transport

mib172540
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am installing a 2811 with a couple of VWIC-2MFT-T1/E1 cards. I am trying to found out what the transport range is for this card. I was told that it will only travel around 650 Ft, I hope this is not true. Can someone point me in the right direction were the documentation is?

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

A T1 delieverd by a carrier/provider/telco is good for ~6000 feet per span. The "last mile" span to the SmartJack / NIU is usually ~3000 feet, so when the smartjack is looped-up for testing, it stays withing the 6000 foot limit.

Beyond 6000 feet, repeaters are necessary.

Here's the nuance: The signal delivered by the carrier / Provider / Telco is NOT a "T1" signal, it's HDSL ... different signaling that can go 6000+ feet that is converted to a "T1/DS1" signal at the Smartjack/NIU.

A true T1/DSX1 is limited for distance. I don't recall exactly the distance, but I believe it's 650 feet.

Were you going to light up some dry copper for a longer haul? If so, you may also want to invest in some "T1 Line Drivers" from someplace like Black Box (www.blackbox.com)

They can frequently carry the signal for thousands of feet to perhaps miles.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks for the comments Scott,

I have two offices right around 7000ft, I was hoping to eliminate my T1 transport system (TXport 3030) and go 2mf card to 2mf card.

I would have thought that the card would have a short and long setting.

Hi,

at these distances, the one thing you can use, is G.SHDSL. Cisco makes an HWIC card using from one to four pairs, so you could get 8 mbps between sites. The alternative, is wireless.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card