cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2821 and hwic/vwic cards

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

I just got a 2821 router in. I also have a 4 port poe card, hwic-1 dsu card, and a fxo card. Is there a particular order on which I should put these in the slots? Does the fxo card have to go into the evm slot? Im not sure I got something to plug that card into if that is the case.

9 Replies 9

tprendergast
Level 3
Level 3

The order in which you install them is irrelevant, but the positioning will have a simple affect of which interface number each card receives. A 2821 will have 2 slots for you to install hwic cards into (your 4-port poe card and dsu card). The typical vwic-2-fxo cards and such that I have used are also hwic-slot based cards. It would appear you have too many cards for too few slots.

The EVM slot is for high density analog modules only. Please see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_qanda_item0900aecd8016c487.shtml

Thanks. The 2821 I have has 4 hwic slots, labeled 0-3. I just thought that the fxo card had to go into a voice slot. But, from what I understand you saying, that is not correct, that it can go into an hwic slot?

Yeah, you are correct. I had the 2811 in my mind for some reason. The fxo card can go into any of the four hwic slots. The EVM slot is reserved only for those specialty modules.

-Tim

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Here you have the card slot locations:

WIC/VIC/VWIC/HWIC slot 3

WIC/VIC/VWIC slot 2

WIC/VIC/VWIC/HWIC slot 1

VIC/VWIC (voice only) slot 0

Hope this was what you needed!

Regards

Bjornarsb

Last question on this, the NM-CUE can go into the bottom slot (says just "1" at the bottom)? It appears to fit ok, but hesitant to power on. You guys know?

If you have minimum 12.3(8)T4

NM-CUE is not supported on 2801.

Regards

Bjornarsb

how about the 2821?

supported.

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks all for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card