Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2901 router

I have 2901 cisco router.

Running one gateway on it, is it possible to add more vlans or use psyical interfaces to run multiple gateways? Its important that they are seperat, that the routes are for each interface.

Regards j

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate as helpful, if that would be the case. Thanx
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that is possible. Just put each sub-interface in a VRF. Consider each VRF as seperate routing table.

HTH,

Lei Tian

View solution in original post

Hi,

you have to define your VRF first:

ip vrf vpn

rd 1:1

then add interfaces to that vrf( what you did) and there will be a global routing table( for interfaces not in VRFs) and one RIB per VRF.

you'll have to issue sh ip route vrf * to see all RIBs( including global one).

for static routing you just have to use the keyword vrf(followed by vrf name) or global depending on your need and for testing connectivity don't forget to add the keyword vrf followed by the vrf name in your ping, traceroute,... commands.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes, you can create multiple sub-interface under one physical interface, each sub-interface is a gateway for that subnet.

HTH,

Lei Tian

I dont want routing between the different interfaces, but as I understand this is not possible? I need extra gateways because of a asa firewall move and the traffic cannot be mixed.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Yes, that is possible. Just put each sub-interface in a VRF. Consider each VRF as seperate routing table.

HTH,

Lei Tian

I haved added this to the Cisco 2901 config:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.2700

encapsulation dot1Q 2700

ip vrf forwarding vpn

ip address 10.0.122.5 255.255.254.0

I now have full connectivity to the 10.0.122.5 in 2700 vlan. But how do i configure static routes, or maintain a seperat routing table for just this vlan/vrf ?

Hi,

you have to define your VRF first:

ip vrf vpn

rd 1:1

then add interfaces to that vrf( what you did) and there will be a global routing table( for interfaces not in VRFs) and one RIB per VRF.

you'll have to issue sh ip route vrf * to see all RIBs( including global one).

for static routing you just have to use the keyword vrf(followed by vrf name) or global depending on your need and for testing connectivity don't forget to add the keyword vrf followed by the vrf name in your ping, traceroute,... commands.

Regards

Alain

Thanks for advice from both of you. This solved alot of problems for me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card