cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 fibre port activation help needed

1cyberdiver
Level 1
Level 1

Tried to activate the Gigabit port on a Catalyst 2950 series. Can not seem to get the port light to come on.

Ran all the commands and the OS appeared to be okay.

Changed out the GBIC 1000 LX and that worked.

Connected to a known good port on a 6500 still no light on the 2950.

Tried a brand new cable directly to the 6500 still nothing.

Sh config says the port is down.

Any suggestions or the throwing of things at my head to rattle out the right info would be appreciated.

Thanks all,

Rob

6 Replies 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post the followiung?

- sh ver output from 2950

- Gigabit Interface Module model in 2950

- Gigabit Interface Module model in 6500

- Fibre cable type? SM or MM? 50/125 micron, 62.5/125 micron, 100/140 micron, or 8.3/125 micron?

- Is there a fibre patch panel between two switches or you connect the cable directly to the two switches?

Can get the output till tuesday.

Interface module on both is 1000 LX

Cable info on Tuesday

no patch panel direct between both switches.

Just trying to activate the port before moving the switch to the other end of the faciltiy. The switch works for the ethernet ports but has never been used for the fibre ports.

Hi,

Take note of the following for 1000Base-LX/LH.

- fibre patch cord minimum length is 2meters

- if using MMF, Mode-conditioning patch cord (CAB-GELX-625 or equivalent) is required.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

The cord is easily over 2 meters. As for the rest of the details I can not get them till Tuesday. It is a holiday here and the office is closed.

Already checked the compatability page before posting but I might have missed something.

I will post more details on Tuesday. Thanks for your help.

Okay it's Tuesday.

The patch cord is 10 meters.

9/125

Duplex

Riser

Side A ST Side B SC

A - 07 A -19

B- 18 B -11

2 X Single Mode 568 B 3 for Indoor Back Bone.

Will get out put from Config shortly.

Thanks for your help. Yesterday the link was made and we were able to configure the switch.

Tbe Switch works fine when connected with the patch cable.

New problem but that will have to be worked out. Moved the switch over to the intended target building and the link is down. Have to have the fibre over to the new building retested.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco