cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switches, this may be a dumb question.

jhlee2000
Level 1
Level 1

I just got a couple of these plopped on my desk to configure. It's been a while. I'm trying to do something that should be really simple.

I've got to configure them with 2 separate VLANs. I can bring one of them up just fine, but when I do that, the other VLAN goes into shutdown. Mgmt VLAN is the default one. I can create the VLANs just fine and put ports into them just fine. I can verify that each VLAN works fine.

I think I am missing something simple here. How do I get both VLANs up and running at the same time? I did this just yesterday on an older 3500 series switch running older IOS.

I know I am forgetting something simple.

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

I am not entirely clear from your explanation what you are doing. What you should be doing is to define two VLANs and assign ports to each VLAN. If there is no active port in the VLAN the VLAN will be down.

I suspect that you are attempting to configure IP addresses in both VLANs. This will not work. The 2950 is a pure layer 2 switch. As such you can put an IP address on a single VLAN for management purposes. But you can not put IP addresses into both VLANs.

If there is still a problem, then perhaps you can clarify what you have done and what the problem is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That explains it Rick. Thanks for the SWIFT reply. I was trying to config an interface for each VLAN. Guess I won't bother doing that.

Thanks again!

John

On the switches that are layer 3 capable it is possible to have multiple IP addresses assigned, but on the layer 2 switches it has only one.

Good luck.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card