cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2951 network module config problem

ggilley
Level 1
Level 1

I just received one of the SM-ES3G-24-P etherswitch modules for my 2951 router. How can I set the IP address for the module itself? I tried using Cisco Configuration Professional, but I typed in a bad IP address and now I can't get the the module. I'd love to be able to set the SM-ES3G-24-P back to its defaults and try again. Or just know how to set it from within the 2951. Thanks,

Greg

3 Replies 3

ggilley
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I found the service-module command which gives me access to the module. Now I can see that it's spewing

May 22 07:39:38.613: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/25, changed state to down

May 22 07:39:41.155: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/25, changed state to up

May 22 07:39:43.176: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/25, changed state to down

May 22 07:39:48.621: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/25, changed state to up

May 22 07:39:50.642: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/25, changed state to down

Since this is a 24 port module, I have to think this is the port that's connected to the 2951 internal interface. What I don't understand is why it's going up and down all the time...

Looking for clues. Thanks,

Greg

Hmm, it seems like it's some interaction with my cisco switch. I just realized that I am using smartport settings on my switch and i told it that port was a cisco router. When connecting it to the ES3G module it may get confused because it's actually a switch. Anyway, I'm going to bed now. I'll try mucking with the smarport settings in the morning. If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Greg

ggilley
Level 1
Level 1

Just to close the loop here. It was indeed that on my cisco switch I had configured the port with "router" smartport settings. It was causing the ES3G module in the 2951 to lose its mind. Changing the port config to "switch" smartport settings cured the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco