Views
Helpful
Replies

3560X vs 3750x stack

iceman6684
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Trying to weight in the pros and cons of going with a 3560x or a stack 3750x.  this is a small office 10 users to start with and perhaps another 10 within the next two years. please note taking into consideration VOIP and live video .

also, this is a OSPF shop and connected via MPLS.   would appreciate your thoughts as i myself can make arguments for either or but, again would like everyones feedback

6 Replies 6

iceman6684
Level 1
Level 1

read the following article which seems that the main advantage is the stack capabilities.  However, as mentioned it becomes more of a architectural decision:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Jason Pichardo wrote:

All,

Trying to weight in the pros and cons of going with a 3560x or a stack 3750x.  this is a small office 10 users to start with and perhaps another 10 within the next two years. please note taking into consideration VOIP and live video .

also, this is a OSPF shop and connected via MPLS.   would appreciate your thoughts as i myself can make arguments for either or but, again would like everyones feedback

How many physical ports do you need?

If you need less than 48, then save your money and get a 3560X with IP Services (if you need full OSPF functionality, IP Base if you don't).

Apart from the stack ability, the 3560X and 3750X are functionaly identicle.

If you see a neew to have more than the maximum 48 ports (well, OK, 52 if you put in the SFP based 1 gig module or 10/1 gig module), then get the 3750X and take advantage of stacking.

Cheers.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm going with Darren here.

10 people plus 10 more in the next two years?  Pretty difficult to justify a 3750X.

I'd get a 48-port 3560X with IP Services license.

You could also justify getting the PoE version, with the option to get the full-power 48-port. 

i agree as well.   thanks guys.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

How critical is downtime?

As the other posters have noted, if you're only going to use a single device, the 3650X would be less expensive.

If downtime is critical, having a dual stack of 24 port 3750Xs can provide redundancy.

sorry for the delay but, Joeseph those were my posing questions.  without a requirement its difficult to decide on the solution. thanks for the input appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card