Views
Helpful
Replies

3640 IOS issue

DSweikata
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 3640 in our lab here at the office..it is booting up into rommon right now, and what I'm trying to determine if the lack of anything in the pcmcia slots is the primary cause, or if I just need to load a new IOS on there...I'm having trouble determining if I need to get a card for it or not...thanks!

7 Replies 7

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

My 3640 routers in my home lab have internal Flash as well as PCMCIA Flash. It could be that you have no internal Flash, or maybe the router is configured to look in the PCMCIA slot(s) for the IOS. It could also be something as simple as a misconfigured config-register.

Could you possibly post the console output of the boot process please, so we can see what is going on and hopefully point you to a fix.

Best Regards,

Michael

I'll have the full text for you later when I hook my laptop to a network, but the gist of it is that its the device is trying to boot from the PCMCIA and not finding them, and when it heads to flash, it gives an error of:

lseek out of bounds

getdirent: lseek error

boot: cannot determine first file name on device flash.

It kicks me out to rommon, where I issue a dir flash and am give the error of bad device name. config register is 0x2102

I had a look in our internal TAC database and all the references to these errors indicate the flash memory is bad.

If you have a PCMCIA card, see if you can boot off it, otherwise try using the tftpdnld command in ROMMON and boot the router without using the program flash option, you can then see run some of the 'sh flash' options to get a better idea of what is happening.

Based on all the old TAC cases, looks like you might be needing a new flash module :-)

Figures. Allright, i'll chuck it over to the powers that be to order some new flash for it.

I don't think tftpdnld command is available for

Cisco 3640 platform. From my past experience,

tftpdnld is available for Cisco 2600s platforms.

Cisco 2600s does not have pcmcia slots;

CCIE Security

Now that you mention it, I think you might be right!

The 3600 manuals mention the tftpdnld command, but there is a caveat stating that not all ROMMON commands are available on all platforms.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/3600/hardware/installation/guide/3600appB.html

This means you would need to set the console speed to 115Kbps and use the xmodem command

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/3600/hardware/installation/guide/3600appB.html#wp1003998

This procedure is very slow ... the best thing to do is to copy over a 12.0 ip base image as these are only a couple of meg in size. If you can boot this, then you use the IOS copy tftp flash:/slot0: to put the latrger image on the box.

OKay, but long story short is that we are pretty much looking at dead flash though :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco