cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 IOS load options

rforberg
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to load IOS from rommon ("switch:" prompt) if the bin file is missing or currupt other than xmodem? Can you boot from another stack member, or set up a tftp load like you can with a router by setting environment IP and TFTP variables, then issuing the tftpdnld command. I did try this in the lab and it takes the variables, but not the tftpdnld command.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

joshproano
Level 1
Level 1

In a fixed configuration switch like the 3750 xmodem is the documented recovery mechanism for software image restore. Once a software image is loaded the switch will join the stack as a part of the IOS feature for the 3750 and sync its IOS with the stack master. In regards to the rommon variables.. you can "set" quite a bit of variables, but it doesnt do much if there is nothing in the rom image to use the variables. :)

For those in a DR mode, remember the com speed on your terminal application and on the switch (switch: set BAUD 115200) when doing this or else it takes a really really long time!

For more info check out this doc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

joshproano
Level 1
Level 1

In a fixed configuration switch like the 3750 xmodem is the documented recovery mechanism for software image restore. Once a software image is loaded the switch will join the stack as a part of the IOS feature for the 3750 and sync its IOS with the stack master. In regards to the rommon variables.. you can "set" quite a bit of variables, but it doesnt do much if there is nothing in the rom image to use the variables. :)

For those in a DR mode, remember the com speed on your terminal application and on the switch (switch: set BAUD 115200) when doing this or else it takes a really really long time!

For more info check out this doc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Thanks. I was aware of the documented method, but thought I'd try my luck at finding someone that had found something else. Undocumented features can occasionally do wonderfull things but are not officially supported.

Thanks for your assistance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco