cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Metro & Shaping (High Urgent pls)

lpassmore
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know urgently if the following scenario will work.

I have a layer 2 fibre based ethernet service from a Telco & they are presenting links on 1gb Fibre connections. At their POP, however, they will rate-limit to 10mb or 100mb. Therefore I need to ensure that I send out only to the appropriate limit. If I connect the fibre link to the Special Services GBIC of a 3750 Metro Switch, does this device have the capability to ensure the following:

1. The Switch will traffic-shape correctly send on it's link

2. The Switch can also shape further on a 100mb limited link when sending traffic to a 10mb site.

Has anybody done this or similar?

Any issues?

Many Thanks in advance

LP

4 Replies 4

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The 3750 supports a pretty sophisticated Hierarchical QoS arrangement which allows you to shape at the interface, vlan and class level...

Therefore, you should be able to meet your requirements using this.

There are more details here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps5532/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080396185.html#wp1283923

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Regards,

Paresh

Thanks Paresh.

I think it will work too. Would dearly love to hear from anybody doing just this so I can be 100% sure.

Am I correct in connecting the Special Services ports to the Telco?

Hi again,

YOu would indeed need to use the 'enhanced services' ports on the 3750 to connect to the Telco. These ports support the Hierarchical Queueing Framework whereas the standard customer ports have only limited QoS capability.

Pls remember to rate posts.

Regards,

Paresh.

johansens
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there LP,

By doing something like this:

!

mls qos

!

class-map match-all v100

match vlan 100

!

policy-map EGRESS

class v100

shape average 10000000

bandwidth 10000

queue-limit 128

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/1/1

description Towards TELCO on the ES port..

switchport mode trunk

service-policy output EGRESS

!

You should be able to do shaping (could use police too) of the traffic exiting the gig1/1/1 interface based on which VLAN it is..

And yes, we are using this at a customer site with great success.. (but with some more options as well..).

Did it help? If so, please rate it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card