cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 stack with layer3, What happens to L3 if primary fails?

mmertens
Level 1
Level 1

If I have a 3750 stack, and I configure layer 3:

interface vlan 10

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

What happens if my primary switch fails?(which is where I assume those L3 definitions exist. I can comprehend the loss of ports/L2 when a switch fails but the layer three definiations...do they move to another switch of the stack?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

The config is shared among the members of the statck. If the primary switch (stack master) fails some other switch takes over as primary (master) and the layer 3 definitions are maintained in the new primary (master). That is one of the advantages of the stack concept.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

The config is shared among the members of the statck. If the primary switch (stack master) fails some other switch takes over as primary (master) and the layer 3 definitions are maintained in the new primary (master). That is one of the advantages of the stack concept.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Michael

Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a question and can know that they will read an answer that resolved the question. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco