cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

3800 Series Routers

Hi,

I have a question relating to the EtherSwtich Service modules available for the 3800 series.

Can I use the Ethernet Interfaces to terminate WAN links that are presented as Ethernet?

i.e We are getting new circuits in from BT Radianz, they will give us 2 FastEthernet Connections to their CPE. Our router would be the demarcation point. I want to firewall one connection (Extranet) and run the other straight into the network. Can I use interafecs on the EtherSwitch module for this purpose? Also can I buy a firewall module?

Any help would be rated,

Thanks

Gavin

1 REPLY

Re: 3800 Series Routers

Hi,

Yes - you can use the etherswitch service modules for this purpose, however I'd read the following Q&A to get some more detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd8028d16a.shtml

The service module is basically a 3750 on a blade which means you'll have two IOS's to manage. (I prefer the standard etherswitch modules because I get netflow - not available on the 3750's).

Either way I'd go for at least an advanced security ios (maybe advanced ip services if I needed service provider code) - there isn't an actual firewall module available for the 3800 (although there is an IDS module).

If security is really a worry you might want to terminate the wan links on an ASA first - just a thought..

HTH

Andrew.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content