Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3825 Half Rate T3

In the 3825 Data Sheet is states: Wire-speed performance for concurrent services such as security and voice, and advanced services at up to half T3/E3 rates. Does this mean I will only get 22.5 Mbps throughput on my HSSI module?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

3825 Half Rate T3

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In the 3825 Data Sheet is states: Wire-speed performance for concurrent services such as security and voice, and advanced services at up to half T3/E3 rates. Does this mean I will only get 22.5 Mbps throughput on my HSSI module?

No, it means the 3825's performance is such Cisco doesn't guarantee wire-speed for any possible configuration.

It might handle you full rate T3 just fine (NB: likely it would); depends on your traffic and your configuration.

6 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: 3825 Half Rate T3

Yes that is right.3825 router supports up to 22.5 mbps for security,voice and advanced services.It doesnt support full T3 services.

This is not true pradeepde.

"Re: 3825 Half Rate T3

Yes that is right.3825 router supports up to 22.5 mbps for security,voice and advanced services.It doesnt support full T3 services."

This Q&A is taken from thispage:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps8604/prod_qas0900aecd806a2d34.html

Q.How are the T3/E3 ATM network modules positioned and deployed?

A. The Cisco 3825 and 3845 can support full T3 or E3 wire-rate performance with a single network module. The Cisco 3845 supports two network modules, but the second module is generally recommended for backup deployment, because wire-speed performance of the second interface is not supported. On the Cisco 2800 Series, full wire-rate performance is supported only on the Cisco 2851. The Cisco 2821 and 2811 are recommended for branch office deployments when less than wire-rate performance is required; for instance, 5, 10, or 20 Mbps of throughput. Figure 2 shows a common ATM deployment for the Cisco integrated services router product fami

If you look at the specs on this page: http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

you can see that it has process switching capabilty of 12.8 Mbps and CEF switching of 179.20 Mbps. This simply means that the more advanced the services are, the slower the router processes the packets. Which is you will get half the wire-speed with more advanced services, but with regular router services you are guaranteed the full T3 wire speed.

Super Bronze

3825 Half Rate T3

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

No, it means the 3825's performance is such Cisco doesn't guarantee wire-speed for any possible configuration.

It might handle you full rate T3 just fine (NB: likely it would); depends on your traffic and your configuration.

You should please refer to the document I linked to in my post, and then refer to this line in the document (which is an official statement made by the Cisco corporation, by the way).

The Cisco 3825 and 3845 can support full T3 or E3 wire-rate performance with a single network module.

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Chad you're 100% correct, the Q&A you reference says exactly what you quote about the T3/E3 ATM network module.

However, what the original poster quoted "Wire-speed performance for concurrent services such as security and voice, and advanced services at up to half T3/E3 rates", appears here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5857/index.html.  This too is also from Cisco.

Seems a Cisco contradiction, doesn't it?

Or maybe it's not since the SAR on the ATM interface might off-load some (interface) processing from the main CPU allowing a 3825 to indeed support an ATM T3's bandwidth which it might be unable to do with other WAN modules supporting T3s.

3825 Half Rate T3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps4909/product_data_sheet09186a008010fba2.html

I hope this helps.If you will give me the precise module you are using i can tell you more.

Alessio

Views
Helpful
Replies