cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3825 router Fiber Connection

wmurphyccla
Level 1
Level 1

We installed a 3825 router with an SFP fiber connection and the fiber didn't come up. The media-type was set to SFP and speed was autonegotiate. I had to revert back to my previous config of having the fiber go through a fiber to ethernet converter and connecting it up using ethernet.

I would like to connect the fiber directly to the router... What can I do to get this to work??? Is there something I'm missing on the port config, should I have shut the port down and back-up again?? Any clues??

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

SFP type ? Fiber type ? Span length ?

Anyway, it's always better to used fixed speed, and yes shut/no shut in some case can help.

Ensure you use standard cisco SFP modules

GLC-SX-MM=

HTH

Narayan

SFP type - GLC-LH-SM SC connector.

Fiber type - Single mode

What is the span length ? What is the transmitter on the other side ? if it is very powerful it may be saturating the receiver, so you need to use an inline optical attenuator.

Please see this link for info:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/prod_module_installation_guide09186a00801cc731.html

Also, show interface, show controller x/y would be useful.

Hope this helps. Please rate posts using the scrollbox below!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card