Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3DES

Hi!

I have a Cisco 2610XM router and the 3DES encryption is not enabled.

How can I implement this function in my router?

Thanks.

12 Replies 12

gaurav_saxena
Level 1
Level 1

You just need to upgrade the IOS of your router which support 3DES encrption.

Thank you for your reply, but I have one more doubt.

My router´s IOS version is 12.3 (6c). Is there a specific version that I have to upgrade?

Rodnei

Rodnei

It is not only a question of which version (12.3(6c)). It is more a question of which feature set. If you run the IP only, or IP Plus, or feature sets like that they do not have 3DES support. You need a feature set within 12.3(6c) like Advanced Security, or Enterprise Plus IPSEC 3DES to get support for 3DES.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thank you for your reply. I am using IP only and I will check for a software with a 3DES support.

Rodnei

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You will need an IPSEC feature set supported IOS (costs $$ unless you have smartnet on the router).

You can offload 3DES encryption (optionally) to a AIM card (dedicated h/w for encryption).

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thisisshanky,

You are right about the IPSec feature and the AIM. For the Cisco 2610XM, the AIM-VPN/BPII has 3DES feature and this router has one slot to install it.

Thank you.

Rodnei

supreme.nkosi
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade the IOS image on your router

Ok.

Thank you for your reply.

Rodnei

jteixido
Level 1
Level 1

Rodnei,

I applogize for the useless answers that you have received from the group thus far. To run 3DES on your router you will need the following:

S26ASK9-12314T USD 1,000.00

Cisco 2600 IOS ADVANCED SECURITY

Yes the cost is $1,000.00 for the IOS that contains 3DES. There are other feature sets that also contain 3DES, but this was the most cost effective feature set that I found.

I personally like to install T trains, because T trains becomes mainline in the next major release. This allows you to have some added features. I would do a complete bug sweep before installing any IOS.

I hope this helps,

John...

John,

You are right about the S26ASK9 IOS version. I have found a document at Cisco web site (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin0900aecd802a945e.html) and I am considering your suggestion. Thisisshanky´s suggestion is another way to implement 3DES feature (using AIM-VPN/BPII module).

Thank your for your help.

Rodnei

Rodnei,

Even if you use the AIM-VPN, you still need the IOS with IPSEC/3DES support (ADVANCED SECURITY IOS)to make it to work. AIM is not required for VPN to work. Just that it improves performance.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thisisshanky,

I have supposed that the IPSec 3DES feature was available in AIM module without the necessity of IOS upgrade.

Thank you one more time.

Rodnei

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card