cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3GWireless WAN High-Speed WAN Interface Cards

scott.rutledge
Level 1
Level 1

Can this product be used as a Point-to-point connection to a particular network? An example would be that the WIC card is installed onto a remote node and needs to connect to a core ISR.

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Scott

The 3G wireless connects the router to the provider network and is inherently not a point to point connection.

There may be a way to achieve this effect even though it is not inherent to the connection. You could configure the router with the 3 G card to connect to your head end router using an IPSec tunnel with GRE. The router would need a static route to the tunnel end point so that it could bring up the tunnel. You could then run a dynamic routing protocol over the GRE tunnel to advertise a default route (or you could set a static default route pointing over the GRE tunnel). This results in an environment in which traffic from the router LAN is effectively going over a point to point connection to your head end router. I have implemented this kind of thing, except not on a 3G connection, and it works quite well.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

How about using a VPN tunnel to my ASA?

Scott

Scott

You could certainly use a router with a 3 G wireless card to establish a VPN tunnel to your ASA and all the traffic to the ASA would be protected. But without the GRE I am not sure that you have the ability to send traffic only to the ASA.

With the GRE you can point a default route to the GRE and all traffic goes over the (virtual) point to point connection (you have effectively eliminated any other way to get out). Without GRE I do not see much alternative to having the default route just point to the outside interface with the G 3 provider as the next hop. And then you have lost the restriction to point to point. Or did I not understand correctly what you need when you described that you wanted a point to point to a particular network?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card