Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

4451-X router, which module to choose ?

Hi,

I was comparing two modules for the new 4451-X router, namely the SM-X Layer2/3 EtherSwitch Module (16 Port) vs the SM-X-6X1G Gigabit Ethernet Service Module.

What I am looking for is to aggregate several incoming ethernet based (RJ 45) WAN connections using routed ports (OSPF only). The obvious difference is that the SM-X-6X1G Gigabit Ethernet Service Module has the SFP option, while the new EtherSwitch module is 16 portsRJ45 based only, which is OK with my connection type. But I want to know wether I will be able to configure any of the 16 EtherSwitch ports as routed layer 3 ports, similar to router ports, or I have to associate them with an SVI, like the old EtherSwitch.

Also, apart from the port density and throughput, will I lose any other features if I go with the EtherSwitch module ?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The SM-X-ES3* are layer 2 only so you would need an SVI. The SM-X6X-1G are routed ports and have feature parity to onboard interfaces.

Hope it helps.

2 REPLIES

The SM-X-ES3* are layer 2 only so you would need an SVI. The SM-X6X-1G are routed ports and have feature parity to onboard interfaces.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply,

I thought that this SM-X-ES3 module works like a 3560 switch, where we can issue the "no switchport" command and have a routed port. Guess better to stick with other module.

Thanks again

Views
Helpful
Replies