cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 supervisor II and eigrp

dragec
Level 1
Level 1

I've read ther supervisor II module for 4506 switch does not supports EIGRP, but EIGRP is working. Does anyone have some experiance with this?

thanks!

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Drag,

If it is sup 2 for sure it is a pure layer 2 switch with CATOS so will never do layer 3 functionality.

Can you confirm if you have 4232 L3 blade or sup2+ and if you have anything of this kind which IOS you are running on it.

Regards,

Ankur

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I think you are talking about SUP2+. This sup has some hardware limitaions of resourcses with compare to Sup4,5,5-10GE so that's why it is not supported on this SUP. It is working as that is built in the IOS but not recommended due to resources limitation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheet09186a0080197424.html

regards,

-amit singh

There was a recent thread on the LAN Switching and Routing forum on this topic. The basic conclusion of the discussion was that EIGRP is not officially supported on the Sup II+. It may run on that platform, but is not officially supported and if you run it on that platform and have problems that Cisco is not obligated to provide any fixes for your problem.

Here is what I posted in that thread which documents that EIGRP is not officially supported on the Sup II+:

I found a Q&A document on the Cisco web site which is pretty specific about not supporting EIGRP. It includes these questions and answers:

Q. Does the Supervisor Engine II-Plus support all the Layer 2-4 features currently available on the Supervisor Engine III and IV?

A. No. The Supervisor Engine II-Plus supports all the Layer 2 features with basic Layer 3 services, Routing Information Protocol (RIP), static routes, Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX) (in software), and AppleTalk (in software) for Layer 3 switching.

Q. What is included in the basic Layer 3 software image?

A. The basic Layer 3 software image supports all Layer 2 features, Layer 3 services, including access control lists (ACLs), quality of service (QoS), and Multicast, and Layer 3 switching including RIP v1 and v2, static routes, IPX, and AppleTalk support.

Q. Does the Supervisor Engine II-Plus support an enhanced Layer 3 software image?

A. No. The Supervisor Engine II-Plus does not support an enhanced Layer 3 software image for support for enhanced Layer 3 routing protocols like Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), and Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS).

The URL for the document is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_qanda_item09186a0080197403.shtml

In case you have difficulty getting to that page (which requires partner level access) I also found a page which explicitly states that EIGRP is not supported at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheet09186a0080197424.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for reply. I know it that documentation states it is not supported and I know it is working because I am using it, but .... sometimes I have some problems with it so I just wanted to know if this could be result of EIGRP/sup-II combination.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: