Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

4900M / ME3600 / 4500X‏

Hi everyone,

Quick question(s) on the above switches.....

Is the 4500X just an "improved" version of the 4900M, or does the 4900M have other "metro-e" features over the 4500X?

For mpls support, the only option would be the ME3600? (i.e. If wanting to do L3VPN's+VPLS at the access)

Cheers.

• WAN Routing and Switching
5 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Re: 4900M / ME3600 / 4500X‏

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 4500X is improved, as it uses a later sup architecture.  Regarding features, that's probably very much tied to whatever Cisco wants to market the device for, besides its physical architecture.  For example, architecture wise, how different were the 3750 vs 3750 Metro or the sup720 vs. fixed metro 6500.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

4900M / ME3600 / 4500X‏

For mpls support, the only option would be the ME3600? (i.e. If wanting to do L3VPN's+VPLS at the access)

Check the Cisco Feature Navigator if you want to be able to determine which hardware will support what feature. 

If you want to do MPLS, then ME3600 may not be enough.  We had to use an ME3800X in order to run MPLS and VRF (not VRF-lite).

Silver

4900M / ME3600 / 4500X‏

Maybe you didn't have the license for it?

With the proper license the ME3600 can do 10GE, MPLS, VPLS, EoMPLS, HQoS, VLAN rewrites, BGP, ISIS and pretty much anything you would expect from a service provider box.

To OP:

If you are looking for proper MPLS support then I would go for ME3600 or similar box, I don't like using enterprise boxes for SP needs even if they have said features. Sometimes you have to compromise though. The Cat6500 with SUP2t have many of these features as well.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib CCIE #37149 Please rate helpful posts.
Hall of Fame Super Gold

4900M / ME3600 / 4500X‏

Maybe you didn't have the license for it?

With the proper license the ME3600 can do 10GE, MPLS, VPLS, EoMPLS, HQoS, VLAN rewrites, BGP, ISIS and pretty much anything you would expect from a service provider box.

Nah.  We threw our requirements to our vendor and Cisco and they both independently came up with the same model.  We even went through TAC.  Same answer.  For our configuration requirement, the smallest thing is an ME-3800X.  It was just darn too expensive to put 6500 chassis all >100 sites.

Silver

4900M / ME3600 / 4500X‏

I see. My only issue with ME3600/3800 is that I wish it had more ports or stacking functionality.

Or they could do something like FEX or nv satellite to build the access layer.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib CCIE #37149 Please rate helpful posts.
Views
Helpful
Replies